1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Impacted crop? 10 day old Silkie chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Squirglederk, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Squirglederk

Squirglederk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Hi. Reposting here as advised in case someone can help. Thankyou.

Hi, hoping someone can help me. I have 8, 10 day old Silkie chicks in a brooder using lucerne chaff as the litter, medicated starter and water. One of them has a large crop, it is pliable and if you listen carefully when you gently massage it, it seems to have some air in there too. I took the food away from them last night and this morning this little one's crop was still full. Could it be impacted? if so, is there something I can do for it? It seems normal in every other way. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give it plenty of water. Massage the crop to help it empty. I wouldn't worry too much unless the crop felt hard and stayed that way from possibly eating the bedding. If you need to separate the chick so as not to deprive the others from food, I would put a shoebox or similar in the brooder. But I would probably let it eat if it is active and alert.

3. Squirglederk

Squirglederk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. This is what I've been doing as the chick is otherwise ok. Nice to get some reassurance as my hens usually raise chicks, not me, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by