Impacted Crop 3 month old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crawley, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Crawley

Crawley New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I think that one of my 3 month old chicks has got an impacted crop. It ate with the other chicks yesterday morning, and when I went to feed them again yesterday afternoon I found it hiding behind some bamboo. I tried feeding it on its own, but it didn't even look at the food, so I took it inside with me. I read on BYC that you are supposed to give them oil and massage the crop, which I've now done. The crop was rock hard to start with, but after I gave the chick the oil and massaged the crop, I could feel the seeds starting to move around. I've put the chick in quarantine so that it's safe and alone, and has access to fresh water but no food. It does have the occasional bowel movement, but the waste is white and watery - is this good? Also, I don't know whether I'm imagining this, but, I thought that I could feel sunflower seeds at the bottom of the crop. Do these have a tendency to get stuck?? I've been feeding them a mix of corn, sorghum, and sunflower seeds since they were hatched, and also all sorts of kitchen scraps in between. Also - I don't think the food has been stuck in the crop for very long as all the seeds are still in tact and quite hard - they haven't gone squishy yet.

Does anybody have any advice on anything else I can do to help the food pass along the digestive tract? I really don't want to have to take the chick to vet and find out that it needs surgery!

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    So sorry to hear about your chick! It sounds like you are on the right path with the olive oil and massage. Do that several times a day. I have also successfully treated impacted crop with molasses and a tiny sprinkle of epsom salts, if she will tolerate it.

Sunflower seeds seem pretty large for a 3 week old chick, but if she has been eating them since birth with no problem, then I'm not sure why they would suddenly be getting stuck! Maybe someone else can weigh in on this. Good luck!

3. Crawley

Crawley New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    Well, I used to grind up all the feed when they were very small, but I haven't done so lately. This chick is also one of the bigger ones, so I don't understand how it could be the sunflower seeds getting stuck, but maybe it is. Do you mix the Epsom salt into the molasses? Thanks for your reply :)

4. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yes, I mix it in and you can mix that in with some warm oatmeal if she won't eat it alone. I think the message will probably help the most. Also, just realized you wrote 3 month, not 3 week old chicks! at 3 weeks, I would certainly think they could handle sunflower seeds. But, sometimes crop impaction will happen. I believe it happens the most by eating too much or too long blades of grass. So maybe watch that too. Best of luck to your and your chickie! :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would be cautious giving epsom salts to a young pullet since it is a powerful laxative which can dehydrate. You want her to drik a lot of water to flush it through. Here is a good link for crop issues: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

From: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    "Impacted crop can be treated by flushing the crop with water to help soften up the “ball”. Using a syringe and tube, put water gently into the esophagus, behind the opening at the back of the throat that goes to the lungs. Gently massage the crop several times per day, softening the mass. Adding some vegetable oil may help a little, but you will usually get reasonable results from water alone. I would NOT recommend surgery on your own....if you cannot get the impaction resolved through massage, water and oil, contact a vet to help you out....gastrointestinal surgery has a HUGE potential to go horribly wrong in an amateur’s hands."

I've tubed water to a few of mine and the crop will usually clear in 24 hours. Never had to vomit one, never had to do the surgery, water works wonders.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by