Impacted crop... AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Floc Quebecois, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Ok folks!

It's time to give your opinion about what we should do... Let's do a poll!

Easter is impacted AGAIN! It's been going on and off for a month now! We did try oil, massages, soft food... We slowly brought her back to regular food... She's acting fine: eats, drinks, no discharge, etc, but her crop is impacted AGAIN! Plus, she still has that cough that seems worse when I try to massage her neck.

The question: should we try to operate her?

What you guys think/would do with that stubborn hen with a stubborn crop?!?
    We just think it's such a big deal (to operate or not) and having a few opinions might just help us to finally give it a try (and jump over our fears...)

Thanks y'all!!!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Once a bird has crop problems there is a very good chance that the bird will have them again. You can do the surgery if you are up for it, but she will likely continue to have problems. The cough is not a great sign. I am thinking food may be getting pushed into her trachea during the massages. She is going to end up with aspiration pneumonia if that continues.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It is never an easy decision to perform surgery on a chicken.

3. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:Yeah... You are probably right... so maybe our only chance to somewhat save her is the operate her crop then? I mean, it is kind of our last resort. I also read that once a crop has been enlarged for quite some time, it's hard to get it back to normal and might never works properly. Maybe we already waited to long... [​IMG]

Thanks for your input: I kinda never thought about the food getting in her trachea because of the massages... Good to know!

4. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Anybody else with an opinion?

5. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    I have a girl with presistant crop problems. For impacted crop i give her maggots it clears it over night without the need to massage. If she gets sour crop I give her daktarin oral gel for a couple of days and it usualy clears it. She is a pet so I Keep going with her as she still has a good quality of life between bouts of crop problems. I think my little girls crop is damaged and, therefore, not working properly and that is why have these ongoing problems. Shes my favorite though so I dont mind

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Maggots?

Oh, do tell.

7. kgardiner

kgardiner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    North Port, FL
    Thelma, is Daktarin a prescibed anitbiotic?

8. THELMA

Dec 2, 2009
    http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/after.aspx

scroll
    down to see the section on impacted crop. It really does work Iv tried it.
    Daktarin gel is an antifungal for children its not on prescription in the UK maybe its not available there.
    Nystatin is the prescription antifungal for sour crop that we get here. My little hen has had this problem for two years and is still going strong so its possible to sort. Good luck

9. THELMA

Dec 2, 2009
  10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    THELMA- I have never heard of using maggots in crop impactions, but your post earlier made me curious enough to look into it. Wow. Fascinating and sensible. I believe I have another tool to add to my arsenal in the battle to keep the birds healthy and happy. Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by