Impacted crop - Anyone ever tried this?

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
I think one of my favorite hens has an impacted crop. I've been reading up on it. Has anyone ever tried what is suggested in this link?

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ImpactedCrop_OldWay.html

I'm trying it, but how much water with baking soda do you put down them first?? They say to mix 1 pint warm water with 1/2 cup baking soda. I would think that is enough for several chickens.

Also, I can't seem to get anything to come up. But maybe I'm afraid she'll aspirate some of it. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

I know I can't do surgery. I just know I can't do it.

Is there any hope for my Little White Annie??

I had two hens with impacted crops.... I am very new to chickens but I have dealt with it (anyone can contradict me here with additional/better info.) I lost my first bird, but my silkie is doing well. I did not do the flush as I was ver nervous about that, but that mixture sounds correct. You need to flush the crop several times. I did tip my hen forward and massaged a ton of foul smelling junk out of her crop. About a cup or two worth. Then I fasted her in Apple cider vinegar the organic stuff (from the mother) for 12 hours. I then started with bird formula(can get from a pet store, it is for hand feeding baby parrots etc.) this is in powder form and should be mixed with water to form a thick paste like watery oatmeal. Then I added vanilla activia yogurt with the formula and gave that for 24 hours, then added crumble to that mix for several days.

My Silkie was really bad and had to be seperated for 3-4 weeks but not all cases are like that.... I also gave nystatin for 2 weeks. This does need to be administered on an empty crop for best results so I would give it in the morning, wait an hour or so and then give the mushy food mixture. Then take away the food about 5pm and administer the nystatin late at night 9 or 10 before I went to bed.

If you do a search on the forum for impacted crop you will find several posts with helpful info for treating this without surgery. Hope that helps I am not an expert!!!

Quote:
I would try the oil FIRST, but if you are already putting baking soda water down her, you need to try to get it to come up! I skimmed the article, I would NOT give Terramycin in the water after treatment, if anything I would make sure to get Apple Cider Vinegar down her. The pint of water + 1/2 cup baking soda sounds pretty strong, I'd have to look over this site to confirm the strength, but I was thinking it was about half that - 1/2 cup baking soda to a quart of water??? I'd have to double-check.

Put some down her, massage the crop to loosen everything, and try to push it out. What are you using to get it down her? Also, how big is the crop? Are you SURE it's impacted? Have you isolated the hen and confirmed that it does not go down overnight? I'd hate for you to be treating her aggressively when there isn't necessarily a problem...

Tell us more about what all you have done with her.

Back
Top Bottom