Impacted Crop But Still Pooping

Thana Skysor

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2022
Hi!
I have a 10 month old chicken who wasn’t doing too well a couple days ago. She was lethargic and puffed up, didn’t want to eat or drink, but still managed to move around with the rest of her flock and even scratched in the dirt a little. (We also noticed something wrong with her vent but it is better now.) But when we picked her up we also noticed how large and squishy (softer than a water balloon and felt full with fluid) her crop was, which was previously hidden by her puffed feathers. We took her inside and fed her some acv water with a syringe dropper and after a while of it she voluntarily drank about a quarter cup of water. We kept her inside to sleep and for the next two days we kept her off of hard foods (and mostly all food) and gave her gentle crop massages, with some oil and water. Every time she drank water we notice her crop became more squishy with the water but in the mornings, although there was a size-able pile of runny dropping below her roosting bar her crop still felt hard and not empty in the mornings. Furthermore, she poops through the day even if she hasn’t had much food. It’s sometimes solid, sometimes watery. We want to put her back outside with the rest of her flock soon because it seems that she keeps calling them so is it safe to put her back? Her crop feels full (not SUPER full but not empty- a little bigger than a ping pong ball) but she still poops a reasonable amount. Does anyone know if it is okay to put her back in her flock or could her crop be impacted?
Thanks.

Attachments

• E53BBC6C-BF22-486B-93CB-C4A391DD3C32.jpeg
    E53BBC6C-BF22-486B-93CB-C4A391DD3C32.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 99
Hi there,
I am in a similar boat, but here is the article that everyone on here points to with crop issues.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I also found this one helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/doughy-crop-issue.1513045/

Hopefully someone will have experience with a similar situation and can give you more specific advice, but maybe those links can give you some ideas of where to go to next.

Best of luck!
Thanks!

Can you check her crop early in the morning after she has gone all night without food or water, and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? If it is empty, I would place her back with her flock. Can you describe what was going on with her vent before?

Can you check her crop early in the morning after she has gone all night without food or water, and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? If it is empty, I would place her back with her flock. Can you describe what was going on with her vent before?
When we checked her crop in the morning it wasn’t full, but wasn’t empty either. My sister says she felt grit particles in it and it was between hard and doughy. About her vent, we first noticed that she laid a bloody egg and her vent was all red and inflamed, her dropping were caked to the feathers underneath. After a couple more days in which we pretty much left her alone her vent went back to normal, it was just dirty under her vent as if the vent was leaking stuff. She had really runny poop too and constantly preened her butt for a lot of the day. Still poops some solid, some watery stuff. And her vent drips a clear yellow liquid last time we checked, but it isn’t a lot. She also hasn’t laid an egg for the past three days. I just put her back with her flock and she is moving around like normal, and pooping too.

When we checked her crop in the morning it wasn’t full, but wasn’t empty either. My sister says she felt grit particles in it and it was between hard and doughy. About her vent, we first noticed that she laid a bloody egg and her vent was all red and inflamed, her dropping were caked to the feathers underneath. After a couple more days in which we pretty much left her alone her vent went back to normal, it was just dirty under her vent as if the vent was leaking stuff. She had really runny poop too and constantly preened her butt for a lot of the day. Still poops some solid, some watery stuff. And her vent drips a clear yellow liquid last time we checked, but it isn’t a lot. She also hasn’t laid an egg for the past three days. I just put her back with her flock and she is moving around like normal, and pooping too.

Sorry i know this is from back in April but i am having a similar issue regarding the half emptied crop feeling hard and feeling grit particles. Can i ask what happened in the end?

Are you feeling the half empty crop first thing in the morning? That is when it is bad, any other time of day it is normal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom