1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Impacted crop? Have some questions...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaybats, Aug 9, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I am in the midst of a Cocci battle with my BO's, but that's a whole 'nother story on another thread, but still relates....

This morning I found one of my White Rocks showing some signs of Cocci...OH. NO. Not them, too! They do not reside together yet as the coop addition is still under construction. But they can see and hear each other. I have been giving the BO's the treatment dose and everyone else the prevention dose.

The White Rock in question also did not look as "pretty as the other girls...almost as if her head and neck were being pecked! White Rocks will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.

Whenever I have had to force feed, I held them on their backs, holding down wings, etc. But just a little while ago, she was being overly frisky and I had to kinda wrap my hand around her and hold her firmly (but gently!) against me. I felt an awful lump near her throat. About the size of a "shooter" marble, I think that's what it's called. The lump was pretty hard.

Naturally, I came here. I did some searches first and actually just found out what a crop is! I found a lot of info, but mostly for older chicks and chickens. How much danger is my baby in? Will olive oil really help? Massaging? Massage downward or upward...do I want whatever is there to come out or go down?

BTW, her poop is not bloody...don't think it's Cocci.

Please help.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Since your flock has not been feeling well, there is a good possibility food is stuck in the crop. You didn't say what you have been "force feeding" her? When chickens don't feel well they consume less grit, which is why food my be stuck in her crop. Yes, the oil should make a difference continue with massage down ward and alittle upward, massage in circles is also helpful. You can also stop the force feeding to make sure what is in the crop moves threw this can take some time. If this is not what is wrong will have to look for something else we can help her with. Oh, yes we want what ever is in the crop to move down or come up. Hope this helps and I hope she starts feeling better soon. [​IMG]

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    You can try a little warm water as well, but don't force anything, gently massage, and no more food either, but the best may be letting her stay calm and relaxed. good luck

4. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Thank you. Thank you. And I used the term "force feed" too easily....I did TRY to make her eat , but only by offering. Forcefully, for a lack of a better term. But she would not accept. Water is the only thing I "force" with an eye dropper or tiny syringe.

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Achickenwrangler#1 :

You can try a little warm water as well, but don't force anything, gently massage, and no more food either, but the best may be letting her stay calm and relaxed. good luck

Thank you, she really likes the warm water.......so many things to learn...........​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by