Impacted Crop Help

lulu1642

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Brenda appears to have imacted crop, hard and full yesterday very lethargic she layed an egg on wednesday, pooping tiny amounts, she has access to grit etc - she is 4.

Adminstered olive oil and have been massaging but no sickness. The crop appears to be much much softer and not so full.

1) Should I carry on massaging until empty throughout the day with breaks?
2) If crop empties presume it has moved to gizzard - should I take her to vet at that point or wait?
3) If I wait what do I need to look out for - I was thinking good poops, energy, pecking about "normal" behaviour?
4) If all well what should I feed - back to normal?
4) If all is well what do I do next to help recovery?

Many thanks in advance for your quick advice.

Lou

Last edited:
You are definitely doing the correct things. Read through this and you'll see what else you might need to think about. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Continue the oil and massage, concentrating on center mass and breaking it up. You won't OD her on oil, so keep using more as needed. Also, offer grit and plenty of water. Yogurt or a probiotic tablet will help boost good gut microbes to assist in the process.

You are definitely doing the correct things. Read through this and you'll see what else you might need to think about. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Continue the oil and massage, concentrating on center mass and breaking it up. You won't OD her on oil, so keep using more as needed. Also, offer grit and plenty of water. Yogurt or a probiotic tablet will help boost good gut microbes to assist in the process.
Thanks for that infor on oil as iwas unsure - newbie on this problem. Her crop feels about 1/2 size as before and squishy.....do you think I should carry on as is before taking her to a vet. Have read it can take a few days to clear? I will feed some probiotics as advised many thanks and have a re-read of the link. Lou

Back
Top Bottom