Impacted Crop How to administer oil?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by candycar, Jun 12, 2011.

1. candycar

candycar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Catlettsburg KY
    I have a young cockrel that I believe has an impacted crop. I did a forum search and know I should adminiter oil. I'm a bit afraid of asperation when giving it, plus I'm doing it alone and it's hard to hold him. What is the best way? I can't seem to find directions:/ I gave him some watery oatmeal with oil in it about 1.5 hours ago, massaged his crop a little and have not given any more food. He's not pooping much yet, and his crop is still hard and full. Should I withhold food untill it's cleared, or let him eat?
    Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Try soaking some bread in the oil and feeding only that to him. Hold off on his other food until you get the crop issue resolved. He's not going to digest anything with an impacted crop anyway.

3. candycar

candycar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Catlettsburg KY
    Thank You CMV! I gave him the oil & bread, massaged the crop some more. Now his crop is "normal" feeling, but he still hasn't pooped much. What he did was very little and watery/W/green, like reg bird poop. How long may it take for this to clear up and he gets back to normal? Could it be something else? Maybe constipation? I don't know what to do for that! Pleasae any help and suggestions appreciated!
    BTW all his siblings and others in the flock are AOK. I brought him home and he's in the house isolated from the others.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The green is either passing of too much pasturage (which could account for the impaction) or a sign that he is not eating enough (a high bile content causes green poops). I would give him a modified diet of only feed for a couple days with some ACV in his water and a TBSP of yogurt each day (to help acidify and re-populate GI bugs in his digestive tract). Keep him off free-ranging for at least a few days to let things settle down. I have a recipe for a laxative flush should you feel it is necessary. Here it is:

LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS

The following solutions or mixtures are recommended to flush the digestive system of toxic substances, most notably for treating birds exposed to botulism toxins.

Molasses Solution

Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water

Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period.

As a supportive treatment for symptoms resulting from Cryptosporidia infection, often referred to as coronaviral enteritis, use:

One quart molasses in 20 gallons of water

Offer this solution free-choice for a period of up to 7-10 days. It is assumed that the molasses replaces certain minerals lost from diarrhea during the course of the infection.

Epsom Salt Solution
    1 lb Epsom Salt per 15 lb feed
    -or-
    1 lb Epsom Salt per 5 gallons water for 1 day

Give the epson salt feed mixture as the sole feed source for a one day period. This feed can be used only if the birds are eating. If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with:

1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water

Place the solution in the crop of the affected bird. This same amount of solution will treat 5-8 quail or one chicken.

Castor Oil Therapy

Dose individual birds with .5 oz castor oil.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by