Impacted crop in cockrel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmbrown05, Oct 26, 2014.

1. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    So the hazards of raising chickens with a 2 and 4 year-old...I have an 8 week old cockrel that ate one of those sticky hands things...yes, you read that right, lol. I saw him with it stuck in his mouth, string down the hatch with hand stuck because it was too big to get down, on Friday. I tried to catch him, they free range with their hen, but to no avail (commical a scene though it was), so I went out to their roost after dark to try and get him taken care of, but the hand was gone and everyone's crops felt normal (the other 8 chicks were taking turns trying to grab it from him-Oh my goodness, so funny to watch!!) so I figured it got taken care of until I saw the clutch out this morning with the culprit all fluffed and puny looking with a very full looking crop. It's the same cockrel so I figured he got it down and now it's stuck :/

My only thought is maybe epson salt drench to try and move it through?? I have no idea how I would go about retrieving it out the north end. He's destined for the table, but is not anywhere near big enough to butcher at this point, but I don't want him to suffer either so if the consensus is to put him down so be it, but other suggestions are welcome as I head out to try and catch the little booger.

2. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Anybody??

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may need crop surgery to get it out. That ideally should be performed by a vet who can remove it and sew up the 2 layers of the crop and skin. I would take him in tomorrow if possible. Here is a video of someone's chicken having crop surgery for a grass impaction.

4. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    The video didn't post. Was there anesthesia used or just physical restraint? I, myself am a vet tech familiar with performing surgery (albeit oral surgery in dogs and cats) and suturing. Like I said, he is bound for the table in the long run anyways, I really don't want to spend a lot of money treating him, nor pumping him full of drugs for withdrawl reasons.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, sorry that I didn't post the link. Here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/858803/impacted-crop-surgery-with-video

6. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: