Impacted crop in cockrel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmbrown05, Oct 26, 2014.

1. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    So the hazards of raising chickens with a 2 and 4 year-old...I have an 8 week old cockrel that ate one of those sticky hands things...yes, you read that right, lol. I saw him with it stuck in his mouth, string down the hatch with hand stuck because it was too big to get down, on Friday. I tried to catch him, they free range with their hen, but to no avail (commical a scene though it was), so I went out to their roost after dark to try and get him taken care of, but the hand was gone and everyone's crops felt normal (the other 8 chicks were taking turns trying to grab it from him-Oh my goodness, so funny to watch!!) so I figured it got taken care of until I saw the clutch out this morning with the culprit all fluffed and puny looking with a very full looking crop. It's the same cockrel so I figured he got it down and now it's stuck :/

My only thought is maybe epson salt drench to try and move it through?? I have no idea how I would go about retrieving it out the north end. He's destined for the table, but is not anywhere near big enough to butcher at this point, but I don't want him to suffer either so if the consensus is to put him down so be it, but other suggestions are welcome as I head out to try and catch the little booger.

2. hmbrown05

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Anybody??

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may need crop surgery to get it out. That ideally should be performed by a vet who can remove it and sew up the 2 layers of the crop and skin. I would take him in tomorrow if possible. Here is a video of someone's chicken having crop surgery for a grass impaction.

4. hmbrown05

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    The video didn't post. Was there anesthesia used or just physical restraint? I, myself am a vet tech familiar with performing surgery (albeit oral surgery in dogs and cats) and suturing. Like I said, he is bound for the table in the long run anyways, I really don't want to spend a lot of money treating him, nor pumping him full of drugs for withdrawl reasons.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, sorry that I didn't post the link. Here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/858803/impacted-crop-surgery-with-video

6. hmbrown05

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by