Impacted crop or gizzard, how long can it take to clear up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    I know you get questions about this a lot, but I wondering about the time frame for it clearing up. I'm thinking her gizzard was impacted rather than her crop, but I'm not sure. She hadn't been eating well for awhile and had an empty crop. We're thinking she gt cold stressed and her system shut down. Last weds she ate some grass, which she really shouldn't have and has had a large crop since. I had been thinking things had backed up into her crop because her system had shut down. We seem to have gotten her moving again, but her crop hasn't gone down. I tubed some oil into her on Tues and she's pooped out a bunch of grass, but her crop still isn't going down. I was never able to feel any mass in her crop; it's more liquid, but I'm not getting a sour smell off of it. I'm thinking the impaction is/was in her gizzard because she wasn't eating either food or grit (she has always had grit available). I'm hesitant to give her another oil treatment because her crop's so full of liquid she's regurgitating some up like they do when they've had too much to drink. SHould her crop have gone down by now, should I wait a bit longer, should I give her another oil treatment even though her crop is still so big? Poor girl's had enough of being in the "hospital" [​IMG]
    Thanks so much!

2. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Opps it was Weds that she had the oil treatment

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Since her crop is remaining full, it may be that she has an obstruction in her digestive track downstream from the crop. I had a BO that swallowed a staple that obstructed her intestine that proved to be ultimately fatal. If you can take her to a vet for an xray, that should show any obstruction (that's what I did). Short of surgery, I don't know if there is much you can do for an intestinal obstruction. I would continue to massage the crop and try to get it to empty. The fact that she pooped is a good sign. Good luck with your girl.

4. Leo1

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Any thoughts on whether or not her crop should be going down by now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by