impacted crop or glutton?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbarnes, Aug 2, 2014.

1. kbarnes

kbarnes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    I have a partridge rock a little over two months, she has a massive crop. I have massaged it and you can feel the grit, and crumbles, scratch. It feels like a hackie sack. She acts fine is the first one to the feeder when I fill it drinks normal. Poops normal. Should I be worried. I noticed this about two days ago. This morning it looked smaller before I fed so I think its emptying. Should I separate her and measure out her food for a couple of days?
    Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it empties by morning, she probably is fine, just a big eater.

3. kbarnes

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    That's what I am hoping for. I am probably just being a worry wart. And this is the first thing to happen to any of my chickies.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. That is always the thing to look for is if the crop is empty when she comes off the roost in the morning. My birds forage in a pasture all day and between that and the layer feed they eat some of them come in at the end of the day looking like they've swallowed a baseball. And that's fine as long as things move along and the crop empties overnight like it's supposed to.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. kbarnes

Jun 25, 2014
    wadsworth nv
    So there has been no change so I'm thinking Chickie hospital ( dog crate in living room). Withholding food and water for 24 hours and see then. What's weird is she's showing NO signs of anything except for a massive crop. It seems to be slightly smaller every morning but not completely empty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by