1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Impacted crop? PICTURES!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Warrprincess688, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    My Easter egger has a large mass right below her throat, It's about the size of a golf ball. It is on the opposite side of her crop and slightly above it. It is hard, not squishy. I didn't notice a smell from her mouth. She has been this way for about a week and a half. I turned her upside down when I first noticed it, but only a clear brownish liquid came out. The lump never went down even though she threw up a little. She is eating and drinking and is excited when treats are around, But she is definitely losing weight and growing weaker. today she stood all by herself outside. It was very dirty and muddy that's why I gave her a bath which is why she was wet in the pictures. The lump is about the same size as when I first noticed it. Any ideas?
    IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5440173/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Warrprincess688

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    [​IMG]

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    what does it feel like when you massage it? could it be feed or grass?

4. FlyHigher

FlyHigher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2012
    Could it be plant stone? If so, maybe you can feed her some coca-cola. I know that if we human beings get plant stones in the stomach, drinking some coca-cola can help dissolve them. But I am not sure whether chickens can have it, since coca contains a lot of caffeine in them.

5. Warrprincess688

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    It doesn't feel like how her crop is. I don't feel anything distinctly. Just like a golf all in size and texture. And what's a plant stone?

6. Warrprincess688

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    Also she is getting food to her crop. After I fed her, her crop was fuller. So she is ableto pass into her system.

7. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    So you can feel her crop separate from the mass? Could it be a tumor?

Fly, what is a plant stone? Giving a chicken soda doesn't seem like a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. Warrprincess688

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    Yea, her crop is on the complete other side. I'm being told her crop is impacted.

9. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would do crop surgery if you are sure it's impacted and it is not going down with olive oil and massage. I have done it before if you have questions.

10. Warrprincess688

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    I'm trying the olive oil and massage. I heard if you load them with water and make them throw up,it's also a good way but you could kill the chicken. How would you do the surgery?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by