Impacted Crop/ Sour Crop/ Slow Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rfields, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Rfields

Rfields New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Virginia
    Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice from someone that has dealt with crop issues before. I have been browsing the internet for hours at a time, and have tried so many different things to help my hen, and I feel like I am at a standstill.

Here is my story:

For 1 week I have been treating a 1 year old Golden Comet Hen for crop issues.

Day 1- Noticed her crop was very full and swinging as she ran in the yard. When I examined her I felt a very full, boggy, mushy crop. I could feel grain in there. I turned her upside down to examine her rear end, and a gush of dark brown, foul smelling liquid poured out of her beak. At this point I suspected either infected or sour crop, and isolated her in a "sick cage" in my garage, withheld food, and offered her only water. I vomited her a few more times to empty the crop.

Day 2- She had several poops overnight that contained undigested grain. I took her to my local vet who happens to see birds. She gave us antibiotics, anti-fungal, a de-wormer, and Reglan to help with motility, and said to vomit her each morning and only feed easily digestible food and to keep her separate.

Day 3- No improvement except vomit smelled less offensive.

Day 4- Several large watery explosive poops. No other changes. Crop still extremely full and boggy.

Day 5- When I vomited her in the AM, a fist sized ball of dried grass came out. It was huge! Her crop felt mushy but empty after that. I was hoping this was the magic answer. Her vomit smelled less foul and sour.

Day 6- Her appetite is voracious, so I tried to give her some crumbles for layer hens mixed with warm water. Her crop continued to feel full and boggy, like her food wasn't going through. She continues to have only a few poops every day and night.

Day 7- Vomited her this morning, and she threw up the undigested mash from last night. It did not smell foul or sour, it was just undigested food. She had 3 normal poops last night. I feel like she is just not digesting her food well. I'm at a loss of what to do. She is so thin and has not layed an egg in 4 days. I fed her a scrambled egg with olive oil, and some mashed up banana today.. I'm scared to give her grain because that just seems to sit in her crop. From the meds the vet has given, and considering I got the impacted grass out, I feel like she should be digesting her food by now.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

FYI- I have also been giving her probiotics. She has finished the anti-fungal and de-wormer, but still on The Baytril (antibiotic) and Reglan for motility.

Thank you so much,

Rebecca

2. Rfields

Rfields New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Virginia
    Update:

I believe the crop is damaged from having been so full, and is hanging too low. I purchased a crop bra online today. They said it will be here in two days. I tried to make one out of a sock but it didn't work well.

Last night and today, I have been providing support manually with my hand for about 35 minutes after she eats. I push up and in lightly on her crop. About 30 min in, I can actually feel the food move out of her crop. She has been making more poops and seems less uncomfortable. The crop is definitely smaller in size. I hope the bra works as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by