Impacted crop surgery outcome - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BriskRooster, Nov 6, 2014.

1. BriskRooster

BriskRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Hello BYC members, i am posting to draw on your experiences and knowledge, may you please comment on the following procedure and current state of the hen (Kip a Barnavelda).

First i will explain how we did the surgery:

Trim all feather in the way all the way to the stubs in the skin.
    Sterilize area with MICROSHIELD "5 chlorhexideine concentrate" (watered down as specified of course).
    Choose area to cut - avoiding larger veins.
    Cut a approximately 15mm (5/8") slot (one singe cut) inline to the crop vertical to the hen, with a sterile brand new scalpel.
    Use sterile medical locking tweezers/pliers implement to remove all the fibrous food in the crop, (also found a big piece of some capsaicin or something in there.....)
    Flushed crop 5 times with 2 bottles of saline water per flush filling the crop up then massaging it out - cleaning it.

Now to the closing part......

we used the "superglue route" some might think this seems strange but it works quite well..... hospitals use a slightly different form of superglue - with a different name.

Here is how we did it:

clean area down with MICROSHIELD "5 chlorhexideine concentrate" thoroughly feathers and all to remove all bacteria.
    cleaned area around the sides of the cut so super glue and steri strips stick, With methylated spirits (metho).
    Dried inside of the cut with sterile cotton pads.
    apply superglue with a toothpick - starting at the top of the cut adding a bit of superglue pulling the skin across overlapping it slightly add more superglue again and again until it was finished.
    Then we used steri strips about 5 across the now super-glued cut to add extra strength while healing and then putting superglue over the outer ends of the steri strips to hold them onto the chicken's skin.
    then lastly we covered the area and cut with "betadine" (what surgeons use as a antiseptic for wounds and cuts and surgery's, more commonly known as throat gargle).

this was 2 days ago now, right after the surgery she got up and did a poo - the cause of this whole problem - she pooped out a elastic band!

Once we put here in a grass free area with water, we gave here a bit of plain yogurt (not sure if the yogurt was a good idea).

Overall the surgery toke about 3 hours.

currently she's standing around pretty tired but very strong, we checked the wound today to put betadine on it and we noticed the crop lump area is hot soft and white, while all her other skin is a yellowy beige color.... this is the only thing i'm worried about... what might be the cause of this? is it just from the saline or disinfectant? like when you are in water for a long time and your skin go's soft and white? any ideas of what this might be, are very appreciated.

Thanks.
    Thomas.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013
    Also may you please comment if you think we have done the surgery well or badly right or wrong?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope someone else who has done the surgery can help. I know some people can get wound infections from sutures, and I have seen where the glue doesn't work and it leaks. It sounds a little worrisome, but I haven't done this before. I would just be very vigilant about watching for infection or leakage. This is not a surgery that most do at home, although there are various threads about attempting it. Having a vet do it is always best if possible, but many of us don't have access to one. I'm hoping your chicken recovers well.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Curiously, did you try tubing fluids to her before the surgery?

-kathy

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks :) but i have read about many other people who have done it :)

7. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013

sorry, you you mean to say giving her oil water bicarb yogurt etc? yes a lot didn't improve it at all...

8. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013
  9. BriskRooster

Mar 3, 2013
    i think the surgery went well, the only thing i am wondering about is the white crop....

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I just thought that you might want to ask them about the mushy white skin you are seeing. If for instance, one of the 2 layers could have come unglued. Just trying to help, and keep your thread being seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by