Impacted Crop Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickens102403, Jan 13, 2015.

1. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Hi, One of my chickens died recently and after doing some research I found out that it was an impacted crop. Soon after, 2 others died with the same symptoms. Unfortunately, another one is sick. I hope that one of you knows the best and most effective way to treat this. I have tried to give it bread soaked in olive oil, but it won't eat it even though it eats regular food well. All though I don't want to take such extreme measures, I would consider surgery. However this is the last resort. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My vet prescribed paraffin oil which I put onto some corn kernels. My hen gobbled it up quick smart! I was then told to gently massage her crop, and overnight a whole mess of food (but mostly corn) passed through her, but her crop remained impacted.

I ended up paying for crop surgery for her. She then had 4 days on antibiotics and pain relief, and ten days later had her stitches removed. During that time she was happy to eat her vegetables (cucumber, lettuce, cabbage) and a few layer's pellets which she was given free access to, but was not given any scratch or whole wheat.

She lost a little weight (which is to be expected) but is otherwise doing fantastic! It cost a bomb ($280AU) but I love her to bits, so it was a small price to pay to see her well again.

- Krista

3. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Thank you so much for your advice, I'll try the oil. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by