1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Impacted Crop Treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickens102403, Jan 13, 2015.

1. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chirping

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Hi, One of my chickens died recently and after doing some research I found out that it was an impacted crop. Soon after, 2 others died with the same symptoms. Unfortunately, another one is sick. I hope that one of you knows the best and most effective way to treat this. I have tried to give it bread soaked in olive oil, but it won't eat it even though it eats regular food well. All though I don't want to take such extreme measures, I would consider surgery. However this is the last resort. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. krista74

krista74 Songster

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My vet prescribed paraffin oil which I put onto some corn kernels. My hen gobbled it up quick smart! I was then told to gently massage her crop, and overnight a whole mess of food (but mostly corn) passed through her, but her crop remained impacted.

I ended up paying for crop surgery for her. She then had 4 days on antibiotics and pain relief, and ten days later had her stitches removed. During that time she was happy to eat her vegetables (cucumber, lettuce, cabbage) and a few layer's pellets which she was given free access to, but was not given any scratch or whole wheat.

She lost a little weight (which is to be expected) but is otherwise doing fantastic! It cost a bomb ($280AU) but I love her to bits, so it was a small price to pay to see her well again.

- Krista

3. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chirping

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Thank you so much for your advice, I'll try the oil. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by