Impacted crop ***UPDATE, ADVICE NEEDED***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abejita, Jul 20, 2011.

1. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I have an 11 wk old australorp (named little) who has what I believe to be an impacted crop. Her crop is full and feels like one of those stress reliever balls. I was like that most of yesterday and this morning as soon as she got up. She is a little lethargic, but she is still drinking and moving around. Thankfully, I've been reading lots here and I think I have a plan of attack. I have some ACV and olive oil that I have been giving her alternate hours along with a little crop massage. So far, she is hanging in there. I also got some polyvisol and I gave her .5ml. I am guessing I should probably give her that only once today.

Anything else I can do to help her along?

thanks!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Also, should I separate her? She gets really agitated if I separate her from her australorp sister, but when I separate them together (???you know what I mean ;-) her sister eats all of her soft food.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think you need to seperate her and hopefully she'll pull thru

4. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    She seems to be getting more lively when I try to catch her each hour and her crop seems to be going down. I am feeling much better about her now.

5. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Any other suggestions? I am not sure if she is getting better. She is still walking around, but very much slower than the others.

6. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    You're on a great start. If her crop is emptying, that's great news, and the blockage, if there was any, is moving. If her crop is still really full, you can try gently messaging her crop in an upward, slightly inward motion. This is how the crop contractions normally move the crop, and it should help force the contents of her crop where it's supposed to go.

Your treatment sounds good, and thorough. It's all up to your hen, now.

Good luck with her! Please keep us posted! [​IMG]

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I just went through this with my two 18 week old red stars. I pulled all food for a full day and gave Sav-a-Chick as sole source of water. I tried to message their crops but they were too full of air. One died but one pulled through and is doing great now. My girls were already separated from the others in a dog crate (but still in the coop) as I was introducing them to the rest of flock at the time. Best of luck to you.

8. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks! She also has water with aviacharge 2000 in her water. Actually, the whole flock is getting is at we are on day 19 of 100+ degrees. It is also a vitamin/electrolyte supplement and sounds similar to sav-a-chick.

9. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, this morning little can't stand up and cant keep her eyes open. Is it too late to try and do surgery? Is surgery a stupid option to try at home? Should I just cull her?

Too much for the first month of chicken owning.

10. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I culled her. She couldn't hold her head up anymore and wasn't opening her eyes when I moved her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by