Impacted crop - will anybody out there help me?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sjisty, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My little Serama, Cindy, has an enlarged crop. I noticed this yesterday. Today I brought her in the house to keep an eye on her. Her crop was hard this morning, the size of a large marble. She was eating until I took the food away. She has had some water and watermelon and I have been massaging her crop all day, so it's soft now, but it is still about the same size or maybe a little bigger. She is pooping, a lot of liquid with a little bit of solid poop - about 5 or 6 times since this morning (around 9:00). She doesn't smell bad, so I don't think her crop is sour, yet, but obviously things aren't passing through like they should. She has slept most of the day, so isn't feeling well.

I have read threads about turning her upside down and making her throw up - is this safe? I also read about giving 3 cc of red wine, but does that really work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

olive oil [​IMG] yogurt?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Do not turn her upside down, she can get aspiration pneumonia.

No red wine, please call your vet, impacted craws can cause death.

I know many farmers, and persons in the med area that will cut the craw remove contents and suture it back up

Please call your local vet if he or she cannot do chickens get a referral

Do not turn her upside down,

4. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Can anybody out there help me?

5. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Anybody - please?

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    We had a hen the same. We just gave her ordinary veg oil from a dropper every couple of hours and gently massarged her crop - it does take about 2 days to start to clear properly so you really have to keep at it but do be gentle with the crop as you can damage it. Surgery is always a last resort as some hens don;t recover well.

Hope you got all the help you need. You may need to get antibiotics from the vet. Give her things that go down easy we gave ours a little bread soaked in the oil for a few days we also gave a little honey mixed in ( Not too much!!) as its a natural antibiotic.

Oesdog. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by