Impacted crop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by antonellat980, Mar 10, 2016.

1. antonellat980

antonellat980 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    I have an astrolorp and I think she has impacted crop. Her abdomen is enlarged and she had a hard mass there about the size of a tennis ball. My husband massaged her last night and we fed her water with a syringe to help loosen it up. We also tried to make her vomit whatever is stuck. It worked a bit. The mass is not has hard but still there. She is separated from the rest of my hens for the time being until I can get her back to herself. Anyone know what else I can do to help her???

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    If it's her abdomen that is enlarged, the crop is not impacted, but she has a different problem.

3. antonellat980

Jan 25, 2014
    Any idea what is could be?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. antonellat980

Jan 25, 2014
    After doing some research I think she has a pendulous crop. How do I know if I completely emptied the crop since it seems like it is now stretched out. Will it go back to normal after it is emptied?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest posting the symptoms on the "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries and Cures" section.

In the meanwhile, the Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in fullest details - photos are a big help - at the ER thread doesn't sound like crop issues, maybe she is egg bound or tumor!!

8. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  9. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    I had a young rooster who had an impacted crop that became stretched. At that time his crop did not work at all. I wrapped an elastic bandage around him to compress the crop while still giving him his massage treatments, every few hours. He wore the bandage all the time, probably for a month, and his crop did work again, and shrank back to normal.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. antonellat980

Jan 25, 2014
    Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try the bandage today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by