Impacted crop

Miss juniper

Hatching
Feb 20, 2020
Hi I have a 1 year old buff Orpington and this morning I woke up and she was lethargic not moving around just squatting in the corner. I should mention I medicated for cocidosis early this spring cause my rooster passed and we suspected cossidosis. I checked her crop and it was hard and big first thing this morning. I gave her 100mg of stool softener with a syringe and separated her from her flock with water only. I also did an internal exam to check if she was egg bound... she is not. I went back 30 mins later to check and massage the crop and it started moving! Yay! I seemed to have moved all the stuff down! When I put her back down she went and crouched and hasn’t moved since. Wondering how long it takes them to get back to their normal self. We had a very hot day yesterday 34°c they had access to cold water all day. Anything else I should be checking? I want her to start feeling good again.
thanks for any advice!

If you can give some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes and make sure that she is drinking plenty of plain water that would be good.

If you can give some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes and make sure that she is drinking plenty of plain water that would be good.
I have stress aid here. She’s not drinking much and right now she’s in the coop laying down on the floor trying to hide behind a barrel we have in there. I seen her take one small drink.. should I syringe water for her? If so how much would be appropriate

How is she doing?
She ended up dying. I preformed a necropsy and I’m no expert but there were blood clots in the lung and heart. As I suspected she had an impacted crop. I was able to move much of it down when she was alive( thought we were in the clear) but the necropsy showed the gizzard was full full. Nothing got through the gizzard after Thursday and she passed Sunday. I am going to be more strict on when I let them out from now on and make sure allllll grass is cut.

Back
Top Bottom