Impacted Crop -

SadiesRoost

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
Have a 1.5 yo hen, a little bleak off/on for a few days. Yesterday am checked her crop seemed OK (maybe I was in a hurry?) But I was told she was pretty normal most of the day until afternoon. This morning she was hanging back in coop again, so when I checked her this morning she DEFINITELY still had food in the crop. I massaged the crop and was able to get some coconut oil in her. Not noticing a "sour" smell YET... she is just laying around today no energy. She has pooped very runny w/green (NOT a normal poo) Her comb and wattles red, eyes bright. She has water with electrolytes have not offered any food. She is isolated in a private "sick bay" coop and run but there might be some old crumbs from scratch or treats but very little. Was planning to offer her some scrambled eggs/yogurt later.
*Questions - Does she need to be inside and completely caged, so no chance for snacks? Should I treat for sour crop now, even if it's just blocked/impacted?
I have read some of the other threads, but thought I'd check for my specific questions.
Thanks

I would keep her caged. You don’t want her eating anything that could make it worse. Might want to wait on the sour crop treatment, but I’m not an expert. This article is very informative, if you haven’t seen it, and has helped me a lot in the past- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bantam-cockerel-crop-issues.1208297/post-19210230 (link to a post on my thread because I can’t link the article for some reason).
Thank you for the reply, a good article to keep on file, I have book marked it for future use. Unfortunately, this girl didn't make it. As stated in the article (last reason on list of "why") she was already dying. In retrospect, she probably had an empty crop the day before, but yesterday was her final day so nothing was digesting. She never had the energy to eat anything or scratch around at all. I'm not sure what took her, she was a hatchery bird and had always been a little weak and low on the pecking order. Not a prolific layer, makes me wonder if she had a cancer or other genetic weakness. All other birds in the flock appear healthy, but keeping an eye on them just incase.

Back
Top Bottom