Impacted crop?

Jenthehen127

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Western Pa
I have a hen who has a large food book. I've noticed it a few times, but never thought much because the other girls did too. We were watching them this morning, and noticed she also has a bare spot on her breast where her crop is and it looked a little red. I kept thinking about this and started to wonder about sour crop or impacted crop. I checked her this evening before bed, and still large, however , the others were not as large as hers. She has been eating and drinking and behaving normally. I have not seen any abnormal poops. I did massage her crop and she pooped on my leg. It was slightly watery, but not abnormal. She seemed to be swallowing something while I was massaging. I did not allow her to eat anything and will check her in the morning. Dose this sound like impacted crop? Could food be able to pass through around whatever might be in there? It also didn't smell bad, so I didn't think sour crop. If she is still this way tomorrow would coconut oil appropriate? I also read somewhere that stool softener works? How would I give that to her? Thank you.

I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink - this is the best way to check crop function. (It should be empty/flat in the morning).

If you massage a crop when a bird has been eating/drinking and press it upward, you can push food/water up into the beak - this may have been the swallowing motion that she was doing. (Speculation on my part)

If the crop is not empty in the morning, you will want to determine what type of treatment to give according to the way the crop feels. I do generally start with coconut oil regardless. Here is the best article I know of about treating crop issues. I use it and many have with success. Let us know how she's doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink - this is the best way to check crop function. (It should be empty/flat in the morning).

If you massage a crop when a bird has been eating/drinking and press it upward, you can push food/water up into the beak - this may have been the swallowing motion that she was doing. (Speculation on my part)

If the crop is not empty in the morning, you will want to determine what type of treatment to give according to the way the crop feels. I do generally start with coconut oil regardless. Here is the best article I know of about treating crop issues. I use it and many have with success. Let us know how she's doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for all the info. Seems it was a false alarm! She was empty this morning! ❤🐔

"A large food book?" Autocorrect run rampant? My hens don't read. Should I be concerned? :)

Don't know her age, but I'm glad your girl's problems seems to have resolved. A bare spot over her crop, though, indicates it may be sagging onto the roost, or she's doing a little feather-picking, so you may see signs again. I've got an elder hen -- nearly 7 -- with those indicators. Azygous -- a forum expert -- says slow crop can be a problem in older birds. Her threads are hugely helpful. (Wyorp Rock has linked her treatise on crop problems.)

Last edited:
"A large food book?" Autocorrect run rampant? My hens don't read. Should I be concerned? :)

Don't know her age, but I'm glad your girl's problems seems to have resolved. A bare spot over her crop, though, indicates it may be sagging onto the roost, or she's doing a little feather-picking, so you may see signs again. I've got an elder hen -- nearly 7 -- with those indicators. Azygous -- a forum expert -- says slow crop can be a problem in older birds. Her threads are hugely helpful. (Wyorp Rock has linked her treatise on crop problems.)
Thank you. She seems to be having a bit of an issue again this weekend. She is just a year old. We are giving her coconut oil and massage. She is pooping, so that is good. She is behaving normally as well, so I'm hoping we can get this cleared up before it becomes a big problem.

Thank you. She seems to be having a bit of an issue again this weekend. She is just a year old. We are giving her coconut oil and massage. She is pooping, so that is good. She is behaving normally as well, so I'm hoping we can get this cleared up before it becomes a big problem.
Good luck! Abnormal behavior (seeming sick) and neck gyrations are good clues to crop discomfort. I see the gyrations occasionally with my elder girl, and respond with firm coconut oil in soft egg, which she gobbles, along with massage. It passes and then may recur off and on. Her behavior and poop are much as they have been. So this just seems to be how her crop is functioning as she approaches 7, though I understand your heightened concern with a young hen.

Good luck! Abnormal behavior (seeming sick) and neck gyrations are good clues to crop discomfort. I see the gyrations occasionally with my elder girl, and respond with firm coconut oil in soft egg, which she gobbles, along with massage. It passes and then may recur off and on. Her behavior and poop are much as they have been. So this just seems to be how her crop is functioning as she approaches 7, though I understand your heightened concern with a young hen.
I think she may have a pendulous crop. I am going to try a crop bra today and see if that helps. I guess this may become a life long issue. We shall see. Thank you!

You're most welcome. I encourage you to watch and see how much she regulates on her own. Most hens don't like crop bras, though they can be helpful with keeping the crop elevated. Better, though -- for you and for her -- if she can adapt naturally, which she may. My oldest girl had a pendulous crop before I knew what it was, so I never intervened. She lived happily to be 8, and died in my presence of what I assumed to be a stroke.

You're most welcome. I encourage you to watch and see how much she regulates on her own. Most hens don't like crop bras, though they can be helpful with keeping the crop elevated. Better, though -- for you and for her -- if she can adapt naturally, which she may. My oldest girl had a pendulous crop before I knew what it was, so I never intervened. She lived happily to be 8, and died in my presence of what I assumed to be a stroke.
I am hoping. She didn't mind when I put it in her today. Atleast if we can get her crop to empty, then we can take it off. Hopefully, she will be ok.
How sad to watch her pass, but also, kind of good for her knowing you were there. I dread that day. These girls are our first flock. I'm starting to get a little worried that she might not pass whatever is in there.

I am hoping. She didn't mind when I put it in her today. Atleast if we can get her crop to empty, then we can take it off. Hopefully, she will be ok.
How sad to watch her pass, but also, kind of good for her knowing you were there. I dread that day. These girls are our first flock. I'm starting to get a little worried that she might not pass whatever is in there.
It IS hard to lose them. But, having lost them numerous ways, my feeling is that an abrupt passing is easiest on everyone. I've found a couple dead who had shown no signs of illness, as well as being present for my older girl's quick passing. It's shocking, but it seems to involve little suffering and bypasses the difficult matter of euthanasia. "Keel over" is how I want to go.

Good luck with your girl! It can be difficult to know when to intervene and when to see -- by just observing her -- whether the bird is actually OK. They don't read our books about what their bodies should be doing, and "normal" may vary between individuals, and over the lifespan of any one chicken. Just like us.

Back
Top Bottom