Impacted Crop

rubi7709

Hatching
Aug 21, 2021
I need help. My 6 month old hen ate some longer then normal grass on august 4th. The next day, I noticed her crop was abnormally full. I kept food and water and isolated her for 2 days. I then gave her coconut oil with some grit mixed in. She didn't like that much, so then I switched to plain yogurt with a little grit and some of her layer feed mixed in. She wasn't making much improvement. I found a few videos on cinnamon mixed into the yogurt, so I tried that, still not much improvement. I then tried the cinnamon, chili powder, ginger powder, water, baking soda, and lemon juice mixture, That still didn't help.This whole time I have been massaging the crop several times a day. There aren't any vets that will treat chickens in my area, so I went on just answer and one of the vets on there told me to give 3cc of Metamucil and papaya enzyme mixed with water. I did that and her crop get worse. I have been feeding her eggs twice a day for the last several day. Since it was over two weeks with very little improvement I turned to YouTube and watched as many videos as I could on crop surgery. I got all my supplies and attempted to empty the crop. I made my incisions, but I was unable to get deep enough to get the crop open and emptied. I didn't feel comfortable enough to continue, so now she's resting in a tote in the house with a small bowl of water with papaya enzyme mixed in. My question is since there aren't any vets in my area, if I keep feeding the eggs and papaya enzymes what are the chances of her crop emptying? How long might it take to empty? (It's already been over 2 weeks) Am I at the point of where I need to let nature take it's course? Is there anything else I could try that I haven't tried already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is the long grass she ate still in there, i.e. can you feel it as a ball? If she's still eating, she must be getting something through - otherwise after 2 weeks she'd be unable to fit anything else in there. I would take out the papaya extract - personally have never seen that mentioned anywhere on this site with respect to crop issues. Maybe they suggested that as a yeast inhibitor? Dunno. Here's my favorite guide for all things related to crop issues.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Is the long grass she ate still in there, i.e. can you feel it as a ball? If she's still eating, she must be getting something through - otherwise after 2 weeks she'd be unable to fit anything else in there. I would take out the papaya extract - personally have never seen that mentioned anywhere on this site with respect to crop issues. Maybe they suggested that as a yeast inhibitor? Dunno. Here's my favorite guide for all things related to crop issues.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/
From what I read the papaya enzyme aids in digestion, is an anti-inflammatory and aids in wound healing. Some days her crop feels like is has dough in it and other days it feels like a squishy water balloon. I’ve pretty much resorted to giving eggs cooked in a teaspoon of coconut oil twice a day. She has access to water 24/7. Thank you for the link. She has gad a few very stinky poops tonight. I’m just trying to keep her from dying!

From what I read the papaya enzyme aids in digestion, is an anti-inflammatory and aids in wound healing. Some days her crop feels like is has dough in it and other days it feels like a squishy water balloon. I’ve pretty much resorted to giving eggs cooked in a teaspoon of coconut oil twice a day. She has access to water 24/7. Thank you for the link. She has gad a few very stinky poops tonight. I’m just trying to keep her from dying!
Any update?

Back
Top Bottom