Impacted Crop?

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hey All!

One of my laying hens has had this red squishy mass for a few months. Initially I thought impacted crop, but after doing research when I first noticed it, I decided it looked normal and havent given it much thought. It didn't look overly large compared to the other hens. It doesn't feel firm, it's squishy, she doesn't have bad breath, no change in behavior (aside from not laying, which I suspected but didn't confirm until I isolated her last night & today). In good spirits and great appetite. No abnormal poop in the coop. She's also been molting for a while so I figured this would be why she stopped laying. Overall I thought maybe that's just how a crop looks but because hers had less feathers it looked weird, but I wasn't concerned.

She developed a limp yesterday so I isolated her to let it rest. After looking her all over I felt her crop still looked suspect yesterday, so I fasted her all day today. I did do some olive oil/yogurt/garlic and crop massage. I'm not sure what this lump is or if it's normal.

Attached are photos of the lump this evening, which is after her 12+ hour fast aside from that one small meal of yogurt. Is this her crop? Does it look bad? Please help!

Attachments

• 20221015_182312.jpg
    20221015_182312.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221015_182314.jpg
    20221015_182314.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221015_182332.jpg
    20221015_182332.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221015_182318.jpg
    20221015_182318.jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 14
It looked exactly the same this morning. The lump itself is squishy, feels like it's filled with liquid/air. I don't smell any odor that would indicate it's sour crop. Behind it the lump, it feels like it's empty. I just feel a bone (?) or something hard. Should I follow the sour crop or impacted crop protocol?

Feel some other chickens crops in the morning and again once they are on the roost in the evening to familiarize yourself. Crops are normally empty and flat in morning, and full of feed in the evening. Some crops may become impacted or even pendulous over time if they gorge themselves, and the crop loses it’s elasticity. Occasionally, one may find a cyst or tumor near the crop. A leaking air sac is another possibility. Here is a good picture of the crop.

1665923300429.jpeg

Feel some other chickens crops in the morning and again once they are on the roost in the evening to familiarize yourself. Crops are normally empty and flat in morning, and full of feed in the evening. Some crops may become impacted or even pendulous over time if they gorge themselves, and the crop loses it’s elasticity. Occasionally, one may find a cyst or tumor near the crop. A leaking air sac is another possibility. Here is a good picture of the crop.

View attachment 3292940

I did feel a few others for comparison. Everyone had nice, flat crops but this one still had a swollen lump. I think it's her crop but it's weird to me that it doesn't feel impacted and it doesn't have the features of sour crop. Her appetite & energy are normal. I also noticed her legs turning pink/red. None of the other hens have pink on their legs. With her limp, legs, and that lump, I'm starting to think it's not her crop and maybe it's something more systemic?

Legs may turn very pink when hens are fertile and mature. So that could be normal. Does it feel like her crop, something inside the crop, or something outside of the crop. In the pictures it looks like it could be the crop. There could be a growth inside the crop though. Is she limping and putting weight on the leg, or holding it up?

Legs may turn very pink when hens are fertile and mature. So that could be normal. Does it feel like her crop, something inside the crop, or something outside of the crop. In the pictures it looks like it could be the crop. There could be a growth inside the crop though. Is she limping and putting weight on the leg, or holding it up?

It's hard to tell whether it's in or out of her crop because it feels so different from the other crops that I'm really not sure what I'm feeling. I've felt a full crop on my other hens and can tell it's the crop, larger, a little harder from all the feed, but I can still move stuff around. This is a small isolated bump. It kind of moves in a way that seems like it's beside her crop. And she has been fasting for 24+ hours so the rest of her crop area is flat, but this thing is still there. It's really squishy and fatty feeling. And I don't feel much else around it, just that little bubble.

She's limping but still able to put a bit of weight on it to move around. I gave her an Epsom salt bath yesterday and she enjoyed it. I could tell immediately after the bath she was in less pain because her walking improved and she could put more weight on it. But it only lasted 5-10 mins before she was back to limping. I plan to repeat the bath again today.

I've attached older photos from when I first noticed (August) if that's any help. When I look back at those, it looks like it's her crop.

Sorry! I'm trying my best with this but have a hard time explaining. Appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• Resized_20220825_163904.jpeg
    Resized_20220825_163904.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_20220825_163926.jpeg
    Resized_20220825_163926.jpeg
    878.4 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom