Impacted crop??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToFarming, Jun 20, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have a silkie pullet that just turned 6 months old. She is laying. I had noticed saturday night she seemed off balance and her head seemed cocked to one side. I kept her in the coop and she was the same the next morning. After checking her out Sunday morning I had come to find her crop was firm and huge. I had never felt an impacted crop before but have had experience with sour crop and it definitely is not sour crop. But her crop was huge and it actually extended to the right side of her neck. I didn't realize it could go that high up on the neck. I kept her separated after that, massaged and gave her vitamins, ACV & oil soaked bread yesterday. Her crop is definitely smaller this morning but not fully empty so I had left her with more oil bread, vitamins and the acv. She still has the problem with the head going to one side this morning. Is the head going to the side from the crop being so large or could this be wry neck on top of the crop issues?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think wry neck can be triggered by all sorts of stressors so I suppose that could include an impacted crop. I guess just to be safe it would be good to try and address both issues at once if possible. I have not dealt with wry neck yet; I have only read about it on the forum, but if you do a search on the topic there are descriptions of successful treatments.

I hope she improves.

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you!
    I already started the vitamins but I think I will also start Metacam. It is an anti inflammatory that had been prescribed by an avian vet for another pullet I had to reduce inflammation. They are about the same size so the dosage should be the same. Crossing my fingers with both the metacam and the vitamins it will work!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by