Impacted Crop!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklover16, Jun 29, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH, My chicken has an impacted crop! I Know that I need to give it olive oil...BUT I DON"T HAVE ANY!!!!!!!! can I use vegetable oil instead? I need to know soon

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    or mineral oil?

3. missypebble

missypebble Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Not so sure if I'm helping, but what's wrong with "impacted crop"? How impacted is the crop? Hopefully someone will answer you soon.

4. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Not sure about types of oil to use. Try gentle massage until you can get oil. Good luck.

5. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    my vet said veg oil is okay if you don't have anything else, make sure they are getting grit!

6. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    thanks guys, I used the veggie oil and gave him a massage last night before he went to bed, when I woke up it was smaller but HARD AS A ROCK. is this good or bad? sorry I'm really new to this, if it weren't for backyard chickens all my chickens would be dead by now.

7. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Vegatable oil should be fine and mineral oil as well(I have used both when out of olive oil). Continue using the oil. Drip about 1/4 tsp down his throat and massage the crop in a downward motion--gentley break up the impacted material with your hand and stroke downward like you're working it out of his crop. If he's pooping, that's good. It means he's clearing his crop. NO food at this time. I have kept a bird with impacted crop off of food up to 48 hours. Just fresh water for now. Give the oil about every 4-6 hours. You can give him yogurt as it has good probiotics and won't cause impaction. Once his crop has cleared, I would only give him chick food for the first day or two, just to make sure everything is cleared out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    this morning I gave pearl (that's his name) as much mineral oil as he would eat (which was probably less than 1/4 of a tsp), then gave him a massage, his crop was squishing around like sculpey so I don't know If I did any good, but at least his crop has shrunk a LOT since last night. oh yah and, how long are these massages supposed to last?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by