Impacted Crop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    help please i think my chicken has an impacted crop!!! what should i do????

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    squirt some olive oil down her throat and massage...take away all food but allow water. Maybe someone with more experience can help.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Careful not to get the oil in her airway... and also you might use the Search option here on BYC to search "impacted crop" for more info from others.

Good luck.

4. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    thanks guys

should i separate her from the flock

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I would so that i could keep a better eye on her.....ecspecially if she isn't feeling well.
    keep us updated! I hope your hen gets better!
    -Roxy

6. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    what should i do?? im not going to bring her to the vet because its like 500 dollars. my only option is to vomit her. ive heard this is risky to do so i want to know how to do it properly. And what should i do if some gets down into her lungs???

7. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I'm pretty sure that your only supposed to vomit for sourcrop...... I would just keep giving her little dosas of olive oil and massage in a downwards movement, at least a couple times a day. I would take her some were warm house/barn and just have her be comfortable....no solid food what-so-ever.
    I hope it starts clearing up and keep us updated!
    -Roxy
    here is a good sight that I found:
    http://sites.google.com/site/moodysbantams/poultry-health-1/crop-impaction

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah im having trouble determining what it is whether its sour crop or impacted crop. im gonna go smell her breath tommorow. when i pushed on it it squished and came back out. i didnt feel any really hard lumps inside or anything?? what do u think it is???

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Inducing vomiting can drown your chicken if the vomit goes down its airway. Instead, try giving your chicken 1 to 2 ccs of olive oil (using an eye dropper) by placing a few drops at a time in its beak and letting it swallow. Then massage your chicken's crop, trying to break up whatever material is in the crop. If you massage downward and toward the back of the crop, you may be able to massage some of the contents out of the opening at the back of the crop. You may have to repeat this several times. I recently had a hen with impaction and this procedure worked for us. I did not isolate her - I thought she would be more comfortable with her flock.

10. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    so is this a remedy for sour crop or impacted crop?? or both??? thanks for the reply [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by