Impacted Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DURR, Feb 23, 2013.

1. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Ok so I just went in to check on my 2-3 month old babies and my little cockeral's crop is HUGE! I felt it and I could feel nothing but grain. I think my son may have tossed them some grain. I don't have grit advailable to them yet I plan to buy some soon. His breath doesn't smell sour at all. He's still very active and hopping around and acting just like a kid being the nut he really is. I offered them some sand and dirt and they pecked at that. Is there anything I cans do?!

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Get online and order some crop bound capsules: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....id=210&zenid=550f9f6cb79cddb490b41363b8054a08 Even if you end up not needing them, they are good to keep on hand (I still can't believe every feed store doesn't carry them). Check the crop first thing in the morning before they all hop off their roosts. If it is still full, separate the bird from the others in a comfortable area with just water and nothing to eat. Massage the crop gently and see if the bird drinks when you put it back down on the ground. Come back in an hour and see if the bird is leaving any droppings. Let us know what you observe.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Durr,
    A knowledgeable person just informed me that Docusate Sodium is the ingredient in crop bound capsules. It is sold in drug stores under the trade name Colace as a stool softener. The 50 mg capsules are the ones to buy. I hope this helps if you end up needing them.

4. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Thank you! But I went to check on him this morning and his crop was completely normal again. I think he just gorged himself. :) I'll keep that in mind if it does happen though!

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Great! I'm glad to hear it. Tell those kids to be careful giving the birds too much scratch. Those crop bound capsules may come in handy in the future. Keep some on hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by