Impacted crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sez90, Oct 13, 2013.

1. sez90

sez90 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Hi guys I'm still trying to get to grips with keeping chickens had them for 2 weeks today! Iv started checking their crops everyday as I've read alot about crop problems and notice yesterday morning and today (before they'd eaten) all 3 of them has crops that still felt hard like maybe a bit smaller than a golf ball.

Iv just started letting them out to free range too so I guess they could of eaten some grass which is a bit longer, how long is too long?

Should I start trying to treat them straight away or wait to see if they improve on their own? They are all still eating and drinking happily and pooing so I wouldn't say they are ill other than the crop feels hard.

If I should start doing something, what should I do? Iv read about giving them oil with bread? They are ex bat hens and still quite scared so they tend to freak out whenever I try to hold them so its hard for me to massage the crop. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

2. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    If you are really worried about their crops, I'd recommend locking them up a little earlier in the evening and not letting them out right away in the morning. Check the size of their crops when you put them away for the night and then check again in the morning. Make sure to provide them with plenty of water.

When chickens eat grass, they generally don't swallow the blade whole. They tend to tear bits of the grass off the top of the blade and will swallow that. Unless you are giving them long grass clippings, I don't think the grass is the problem.

If you find that their crops have emptied the next morning, you have nothing to worry about. If, in the morning, their crops are still full, that is when you should start treating them by massaging their crops and feeding them something with oil. Hopefully this helps!

3. sez90

sez90 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks! They do always have plenty of water and I don't give them grass clippings. I will do as you suggest and check them tonight and in the morning then take it from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by