impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elly, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    There was a post on an impacted crop...I don't want to start up any arguments, I just want to know if it happens very often and how can it be pervented.

I read that it was hay...I have seen my chickens peck at hay, not sure if they are eatting it, should I keep them away from it.

I also read that giving them some hay during the winter was good. I was going to do this, but am thinking twice about it if this can happen.

What were the signs that this hen had this problem.

I hope someone can answer these questions...till then my girls will have to stay away from the hay/barn.

thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

With access to lots of grit they usually can grind up and pass stuff without a problem. Short pieces of hay, or lawn clippings that aren't mulched when given can also cause probelms if a massive amount are consumed. Some hay is fine as they peck and scratch seeds and bugs out of it, with a few large softer leaves if htey cna find it. Just make sure they have grit.

A hen who has an impacted crop will have a full crop in the morning after 12 hours without food.

3. Norman

Norman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Ontario
    thanks for the info...I feel better about letting my girls out of thier run.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have started to drizzle some oil...either canola or olive oil..over some broken up bread pieces about once a month for my flock. They just love it and it seems to keep things moving!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by