Impacted crop .....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by han-kirk126, Feb 17, 2014.

1. han-kirk126

han-kirk126 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Hi all just thought id share my experience and to see if anyone else has paid for surgery on their chicken as all my friends are teasing me about paying for surgery. Gladice my prize chicken has an impacted crop, tried to shift it with olive oil, yoghurt, massaging it etc she was a little sick but kept jerking her head around, felt her crop it was all squishy almost to the point where you could mould it!! Took her to the vet, vet said she will be fine after surgery as it feels like shes eaten alot of hay! The vet will.charge me roughly £80 - is this alot? Just looking for some reassurance that I've done the right thing! Thanks people!!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Often surgery is the only option for impacted crop,you definitely did the right thing. Pay no attention to what others say,only matters how you feel.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    X2

4. han-kirk126

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Gladice is back home after 2 days at the vets, shes had her blockage removed and is on antibiotics for 10 days, so shes in solitary until the antibiotics have finished and we cannot eat her eggs! Glad she's home :)

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Thats great news. Did they show you what they removed? When you say can't eat the eggs, do you mean a withdrawal period?

6. han-kirk126

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    They removed a huge mass of hay about a standard mug full! Yes its just a withdrawal period due to the antibiotics

7. han-kirk126

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Hit a little snag with the antibiotics, she just wont take them i have to physically force them into her mouth which is stressful for us both! They are the size of a 1 pence piece and have to broken into 4 to even fit in her mouth! - any suggestions? I've tried bread but she just flicks it about loosing the antibiotic! :/

8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Wrap her in a towel to hold her and then give her the antibiotic.

9. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Hi,

I am a nurse and at times we have to crush to aid some ppl to take theirs, are they ones that you can crush, perhaps you could make a slight paste or more watered down with water and eye dropper it in to her mouth.....
    :) Good luck with giving her the antibiotics...

10. han-kirk126

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Thanks guys, will try the eye dropper method as i know she is getting it all then. Ill let you know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by