Impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tuner06, Aug 20, 2014.

1. tuner06

tuner06 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Jarrettsville MD
    Hi pulled my chicken out of the coop tonight thinking she has a impacted crop.
    But I'm really not sure she dose.
    Symptoms I've seen never saw her eat or drink with the rest of my flock today when I was
    Outside. She just laid around did not do much from what I saw. I do know that
    She did eat something because I feed her some feed with some yogurt mixed in
    But was not I lot. I also saw her drink something tonight when I was out locking them
    Up for the night that's when I saw her either what looked to me like yawning
    But may have been gasping for air. That's when I did the research and found she
    May have the impacted crop. Her crop doesn't feel hard and it's not swollen
    And after I put her in my dog kennel she pooed. So not to sure what's wrong
    And she didn't want to eat the bread mixed with olive oil that I saw on another
    Post that said May help. So I guess I will see what happens in the morning

Thanks for any help I know it's late
    Good night

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Do a search on Gapeworm. If she does have impacted or sour crop you should be able to feel it. If sour crop, her crop will be huge & feel like a water balloon. If impacted, it will be huge, but not squishy. I thankfully have never had to deal with impacted crop or gapeworm. If it turns out to be sour crop, do NOT make her throw up. When it happened to our hen, she threw up while my daughter was holding her. She seemed relieved, so I 'helped' her throw up 2 more times that night. We isolated her and fed her yogart, ACV in her water, all was looking well. On day 3 she started with a rattling noise and died on day 4. She seemed fine, but had got aspiration. Just don't want you to make the same mistake I did.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not gapeworm. Birds yawn; they yawn to adjust their crop or gizzard, or to swallow food. She may have an impacted crop or gizzard.

4. tuner06

Apr 22, 2014
    Jarrettsville MD
    Update
    Up this morning checked her out and there was poop all over the kennel. Did
    Not feel any lump in the crop. I stuck a q-tip down her throat and found nothing
    I gave her water and feed mixed with water made it like soup and she ate and drank.

5. tuner06

Apr 22, 2014
    Jarrettsville MD
    I also want to thank everyone for there info :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by