impacted gizard and sticking out brest bone Egg bound ????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Oct 14, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    SO my chickens have an verry prominent brest bone are there healt concerns to this fact? They get an good amount of food.

Impacted gizzerd what is it ? How do you fix it? How do you prevent it? How do you know it is there, symptoms?

What is egg bound? how do I prevent this?What are the symptoms? How do you cure or fix it?

Please help. Thanks in advanced. I'am an new chicken owner [​IMG] sorry bout all the questions at ounce [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    If you use the search bar at the top you can find a lot of info on all you need to know and more.

about their breast bones...how old are they and what are you feeding them?

Impacted crop happens when they eat something that gets stuck in their crop and causes it to go sour and the food is unable to pass through. its important to provide grit if they do not have a natural way to get it around your yard.

at night their crops should be full and in the morning it should be empty, if you suspect that you have a hen with impaction, give them some bread soaked on olive oil and massage the crop gently a few times until it passes through. I avoid the bread and just give them cut up tomatoes in olive oil :) they really like this.

Egg bound is when a hen has trouble laying an egg it gets stuck inside the vent, either because the egg broke, its soft or too big, warm sitz bath and massage can sometimes help, as well as lubing the vent with vaseline.

Ema

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    THANK YOU [​IMG] Can you do this with veggie oil?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Of course, but Olive oil is just healthier for them, it won't hurt them either way :-D

5. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    [​IMG] Thank you verry much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by