Impacted gizzard?? PLEASE see my post on page 3

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noobchick, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Over the last few days, i've noticed 1-2 intestinal lining poops each day. I determined which bird it was coming from, an Ameraucana. She had other normal poops inbetween the lining poops. What concerns me is that the poop trays I clean out every AM have shown her to have only 1-2 normal poops a night, with 1-2 lining poops. This has been the case the last few days.

To add to my concern, the amount of poop overall in the trays has decreased AND this AM the space under two other birds' roosts also had the lining poops. (Though it is possible, I suppose, that they shifted around during the night and its coming from the same bird.)

Still, the amount of poop overall in the trays has decreased over the last few days.

Last week, the Ameraucana was picking at the other birds pretty aggressively which i determined was a power play for the top of the pecking order and also a protein defeciency. So I added higher protein treats. (yogurt, egg yolk, a homemade flock block, mealworms, soldier fly larvae, etc.)

I haven't noticed any picking but am still finding a lot of feathers thru out the day.

Could they be molting? Could the lining poops be a result of the changes in diet? Or is there a problem/illness I should be treating??Nn

I can post pics of the poop and pullet if it helps.

Edited to update subject line.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

We may need those poop pics.

3. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Sorry it took me so long to post; I don't have regular access to a PC. I'm noticing some changes in behavior in some of my other chickens and I'm starting to get very concerned. It's times like these when feel completely inept; I'm REALLY hoping you guys can help me.

This is the poop that the Ameraucana had for a few days. She’s still having odd poops, but nothing as bad as this.

[​IMG]

This is the poop I collected from her yesterday. Still weird, but not as bad.
    [​IMG]

This is my Barred Plymouth Rock, who looked a little down yesterday, but today looks even droopier. She is also having odd poops.
    [​IMG]

This is my GLW. Her eyes look puffier than usual. I don’t know if the symptoms are related or not, so thought I’d throw her pic up too.
    [​IMG]

4. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    No one has any ideas??

I just went out to check on them and found a green poop- no idea whose it was. daughter goes down for nap soon so I'll be able to go out and monitor them for a while.

Ive also been doing research on here since I posted last: botulism, mold, and bacterial infection seem to be possibilities. All of which sound scary. Sure would appreciate some viewpoints. [​IMG]

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Not sure I can help, but I can give you a bump and post the poop chart, you'd be surprized at what is normal.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

My girls are 22 weeks and still lose some feathers. I think they go through a few mini moults prior to laying. You may try adding ACV (apple cidar vinegar) to the water, I have read that it helps. There are alot of scary diseases, don't get yourself too worked up, I've done the same thing with my girls! Hope everthing works out for you. Keep us updated.

6. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    That chart's really helpful; I do think the poop I posted pics of looks like intestinal lining. But the one hen has been having poops like those for over a week now. Is that normal??

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    could that stringy red stuff be a roundworm?

8. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Don't think so. Didn't look like the pics of worms in poop I've seen on the internet. I always check their poop in the AM when I clean out their droppings pans; haven't seen any worms so far.

9. FrizzledFarmer

FrizzledFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    We just went through a roundworm infestation, and that's what their poop looked like. They also showed "droppy" symptoms until we used Wazine and an in-the-mouth nutritional supplement. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

10. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    You should deworm them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by