Impacted nostril??? What in the world is this??? PICS UPDATE post 27

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenaddict, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    My favorite rooster bernie has what looks like an impaction in his nostril I noticed today. It is starting to make his comb swell and has pushed that area up a bit. He is acting normal, has never been ill, poops normal. I feed fresh food/water and scratch grains daily. Bedding is straw in the run and pine shavings in the coop. They free range during the day.

I brought him in the house to see if I could pry the scabby looking plug out of there but he wouldn't hold still. I want to soak it but because it is covering his nostril I am afraid to do too much. It seems to hurt him and you can see the swelling there. What could this be and what can I do to get rid of it? I would rather treat at home if at all possible.

HIs bad side
    [​IMG]

His good side
    [​IMG]

Head on to see the swelling compared to the other side
    [​IMG]

Please help!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He may have gotten a piece of scratch up there and it became infected. I clean out nostrils with a piece of stiff straw or a toothpick while my DH holds the bird. That has to come out of there somehow.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could be a tumor. I'd leave it alone and see if it progresses or is hindering his breathing in any way.

4. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I tried to pick it out with a toothpick, it was darn near impossible. It was really stuck in there. Could I put a damp cloth over the area to soften it up or would that be too much? or maybe some vasoline overnight and see if that softens it up a bit. I agree it needs to come out of there! its causing him pain I can tell. I don't think it is a tumor as this just occured. I check them all every night. looks like whaat ever it is is really crammed up there good [​IMG] I also checked inside his mouth for anything going on there and it was clear. it does affect his breathing a bit but not much, just sounds stuffed up on the one side. No wheezing or congestion or mucus anywhere.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Vaseline may soften it up somewhat. That's a tough one!

6. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I would take him to the vet. If it's infected they can give him an antibiotic. Don't want to weaken his immune systems and make him prone to some other disease...plus the picking etc. might stress him out/make it worse. I would probably get it checked out by a professional since it's at the beginning of the respiratory system.

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    it sure is tough. I just hope it is nothing tooo serious and i get it out of there quick. Thanks guys I will try the vasoline tonight and see how soft it is in the morning. Right now it is like concrete in there.

8. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I will take him and only him to the vet if absolutely neccesary but for now I am gonna try and fix this myself rather then taking him to the vet for now, if he gets worse I will take him in. I have penecillin here i can follow up with if need be. He is a very mellow serama who is used to being handled so I am not too concerned about him getting stressed out from the poking around.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could soak it in olive oil and try to get it out the next day, but I'd be careful not to damage any of the soft tissue. I just can't imagine an impaction that has disfigured the passage further up the nostril....usually this is done by an overgrowth of tissue, or a tumor. As this is not a gland, I can't imagine it being impacted with residue of any kind.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Yep, I agree with the boss! That happened to Nugget once and after I soaked it and softened it we got a sunflower seed out.. I suggested he no longer try snorting his food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by