Impacted/sour crop?

Dixiechick55

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Hello!
My sweet chicken Cholula (Cinnamon Queen, 2 years old) has what I suspect to be an impacted crop. It's been about 4 days since it emptied. I brought her to a vet who did a lavage and crop massage but the blockage hasn't gone down. She's home now. She is pooping. Her crop feels squishy but I'm not sure if that's from the lavage they gave her.
The vet suggested surgery but can't do this til next week. I don't want to go down that road, the cost would certainly be extreme and I'm not sure I'd want to put my girl through it.
Does anyone have tips or tricks? I found a post about performing this surgery at home. I'm not sure I could stomach it, but if it would save her life I might be brave enough to assist my husband.
She is on an antibiotic right now to prevent the crop from infection.
If anyone has experience with this I'd love advice.

Attachments

• 20220419_152954-01.jpeg
    20220419_152954-01.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The fact that she is pooping is a great sign. Does it look like she is having difficulty pooping?
She needs plenty of fluids. So make sure she is drinking water. If she isn’t voluntarily drinking water then you need to give her water down her throat with a siringe. But if you do that you need to empty the siringe steadily to prevent aspiration.
The liquid can help break up the impact in the crop. Good luck.

The fact that she is pooping is a great sign. Does it look like she is having difficulty pooping?
She needs plenty of fluids. So make sure she is drinking water. If she isn’t voluntarily drinking water then you need to give her water down her throat with a siringe. But if you do that you need to empty the siringe steadily to prevent aspiration.
The liquid can help break up the impact in the crop. Good luck.
Also! If you think the crop is heavy and uncomfortable for her, please consider getting her a “crop harness”. Kind of like a bra for a heavy crop. It helps them be more comfortable. You can order these on Amazon or Etsy.

Back
Top Bottom