Impaction

Mallory F

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2018
I have a hen that was fine 2 days ago. Yesterday she was standing in the run with her eyes closed. Separated her. No appetite, her eyes are clear, no respiratory issues, empty crop, not egg bound, no mites or lice. She had a small brown liquid poop. She's also been trying to peck at her lower abdomen. Since her crop is empty can I assume she may have a blockage lower down in her digestive tract? I've given her a small amount of coconut oil to see if it would break up the blockage. Anyone try Metamucil and Papaya enzymes? Suggestions?

Age? When did she last lay an egg? Ever any egg shell issues? A blockage lower down can be from a blocked gizzard, but it can also be a blockage from a stuck egg. And no, most of the time, you cannot feel the egg.

For starters, it's simple and easy and safe to give her a calcium tablet, citrate is best but Tums will work, pop it right into her beak and see what happens between now and morning. If there is something stuck, the calcium will stimulate contractions to push it out.

If something "egg-like" or an egg is produced and the hen reverts to her normal behavior, we can then assume that was her problem.

If not, you can try an Epsom salt flush (magnesium sulfate) Give her one teaspoon in a half a cup of warm water to drink. Remove her regular water until she drinks it all. This should stimulate the intestines to move material from the crop and gizzard and send it on its merry way. It's perfectly safe.

She'll be 4 in April. She hasn't laid an egg in months. With winter, I don't expect her to. She's never had a shell issue. I'll try the tums and see what happens. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom