Impatiently waiting for my first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy For Color, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Crazy For Color

Crazy For Color Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Hello. My chickens will be 22 weeks old on Monday and still no eggs. Should I be concerned or more patient?[​IMG] A Buff Orpington, Black, Sex Link, Isa Brown, and a Silkie (although I don't expect the silkie to start laying in the very near future)

2. BrandoMan

BrandoMan Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Prewitt, NM USA
    I wouldn't even worry about it. They will start on there own time. I usually just get frustrated and stop even expecting a egg then all of a sudden there be one. Like xmas morning surprise. When I get chicks from my local feed store I usually end up waiting like a year before I get any eggs since its winter before there old enough to lay then they wait till spring to actually lay. Exception is my Rhode Island Red played all winter. My buff pros and red sex links would stop completely towards winter..

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm in the same boat. The problem is the shortening days may not provide enough hours of light to trigger the egg laying hormones until the days begin to lengthen again come spring.

The exception are breeds known for their winter egg laying. You could get lucky and see the first egg in a few weeks.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Stop over thinking it...They will lay eggs very soon...?
    Housing, feed, lighting, heat, stress....Play a big part in egg laying...As long as your doing all that? You will get eggs soon.....

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Surprised your sexlink isn't laying yet, they can start as early as 16 weeks.
    But there's no guarantees with live animals.
    Do you free range..any chance they are laying in range area?

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

6. Crazy For Color

May 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you for your replies [​IMG] My setup is a bit different. They have a coop inside a raised secure pen, with a run attached. They have access to the pen when they wake up and then between 8-9am, we open the door so they can get to the run. My husband wants to allow them in the fenced in back yard but for now, I'd rather keep them in the run. Anyway, if they were laying, I'd see the egg [​IMG] I feed them Armada brand feed and changed them from chick feed to layer feed almost 2 weeks ago. On a rare occasion, they get oatmeal for a treat. When they were babies, we fed them meal worms often and someone said we could stunt their growth so we really laid off the treats. They are not full sized chickens yet and I'm not sure if they should be at this age [​IMG] I'll take a picture of them today so you can see how red their waddles are getting. Thanks again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to be so helpful [​IMG]

7. Crazy For Color

May 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Nugget-Isa Brown
    [​IMG]

All of them together just to show size, also the only pic I could get of Peaches, the Buff Orpington. She's being camera shy today!
    [​IMG]

Impulse-Silkie
    [​IMG]

Jade-Black Sex Link. Her comb almost looks yellow on top [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. chickens really

Far from being ready to lay yet...Another month I think?
    Just enjoy them while you wait...Everyone waits!

9. Crazy For Color

May 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you! So long as I'm not doing anything wrong and they are healthy and happy, I can wait....maybe not patiently, but I can wait! LOL!

10. chickens really

lol!
    We all have been in your shoes...I got rid of my old hens this spring so have pullets that have not laid yet either....I know they will lay when ready...Yes, your Birds look healthy so just enjoy the Birds...I do!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by