Impatiently waiting for these Easter Egger Ladies to start laying

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by whipkeyrl, Nov 16, 2016.

1. whipkeyrl

whipkeyrl New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Newnan, GA
    We have just started this past spring with chickens. We have 3 Rhode Islands, 1 Amberlink, 1 Barred Rock and 2 what were supposed to be Ameraucana but as they started to grow I see are Easter Eggers which I am fine with. But they are the only two that have not laid yet.. I am dying to see what color their eggs will be... They are just about 26 weeks old. I'm hoping the weather will not prevent them from starting to lay. we live in GA so it's pretty mild but with some chilly mornings. Our Barred Rock is the same age as them and she has been laying for about 2 weeks now.

What age did your Easter Eggers start to lay?
    These are our two girls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] In my experience, EE start laying later than the more 'productive' breeds but have a longer productive life.

They lay fewer eggs per year but lay for more years.

1 person likes this.
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They're so pretty! [​IMG]

4. whipkeyrl

whipkeyrl New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Newnan, GA
    Thank you :)

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The first 3 chicks I raised were 1 EE and 2 RIR's. The EE was the first to lay at about 22 weeks of age and the RIR's followed around 24 weeks.

Have your EE's started showing signs yet (reddish comb/wattles or squatting)?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Weather won't affect their abilities to lay, but the shorter daylight hours can. Keep them on a feed with at least 18% protein. Easter Eggers seem to need more protein than some other breeds. Looks like they are getting close to laying. Pullets that mature in the fall do take longer to start laying.

7. whipkeyrl

whipkeyrl New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Newnan, GA

They're combs are starting to get a little redder. Yesterday I noticed one started to squat when I reached down but then she ran.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  8. whipkeyrl

whipkeyrl New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Newnan, GA
    Thanks I guess I should get another bag of feed for them with higher protein. With them being the last two to start laying and being over 20 weeks we went ahead and bought layering feed for all the other girls that are laying

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You don't have to ever feed layer feed. That's a very common misconception. Those of us who choose to feed a higher protein feed have found that we get better production and fewer issues with feather picking and egg eating. The only thing that laying birds need, in addition, is a source of calcium.

10. whipkeyrl

whipkeyrl New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Newnan, GA
    Thank you for that information. After this bag is gone I'll go back to the higher protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by