Impatiently waiting...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jbently28, May 13, 2019.

1. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Just wanted to give an update on my broody mama and her WH x KC eggs. I was almost certain we would have some babies this weekend, but here I am still waiting. I was able to get a peak at the eggs under the shop while mama was out grabbing a bite to eat. I still have no idea how many eggs there are, but from this and several other pics I got, it looks like there may be 15. I was able to reach a couple of them and I could feel them rocking in my hand. I didn't even bother candling since they are so close to hatching. Now all I can do is sit back and wait to hear some chirping. Crossing my fingers we'll have some happy and healthy ducklings within the next few days. 20190513_144756.jpg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So exciting can't wait to see them!! I have 2 under my hen that have internal pips.

3. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I had to cull out one of the 3 eggs I candled the other day. It had recently passed. There was very minimal hairline veining and no movement at all. I'm a little worried about one of the eggs though. When I candled it, it had a normal size aircell along with another large aircell on the side. There was still tons of movement so I put it back and am just hoping for the best. We've had horrible storms for the past week and the temps dropped down drastically. Yesterday was the first day that it didn't rain and the temps got back up into the 80's. I'm thinking the low temps may have delayed hatching.

4. Miss Lydia

Hard to say when we let mama do all the work but maybe 15 eggs was just to much for her to cover.

Chick-N-Fun and FoodFreedomNow like this.
  5. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    I heard ducks can cover a lot. Hope at least a few hatch.

Chick-N-Fun and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

I’m sure they will.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  7. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I didn't realize there were that many until today or I would have pulled some early on. I'm gonna have a lot of babies on my hands if they all hatch!

8. Miss Lydia

Yep pretty ones too!!

Chick-N-Fun and Jbently28 like this.
  9. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    How would I know if they are sexlinked? I saw someone on here recently who who hatched WH x KC that were sexlinked and the lighter ones were females. My other WH x KC that I hatched looked just like their light colored ones when it hatched and it ended up being a female as well.

Chick-N-Fun, Pyxis and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

@Pyxis Is a good source for this.

Chick-N-Fun, Jbently28 and Pyxis like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: