Impatiently Waiting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 3, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Tomorrow my EEs turn 20 weeks old. [​IMG] My other chicks are anywhere between 14 and 18 weeks (with the exception of the BOs). I realize I am being impatient, but dang it, I'm waiting for eggs! Those feathered freeloaders need to produce! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't tell me I have to wait another 6 weeks to see eggs! I know they should be showing up any time. [​IMG] Right? RIGHT? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Right!

Just don't raise LF brahmas. I waited 9 1/2 months for two of my brahma girls to finally start laying.

3. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    We're waiting too..... our's are 17 wks old and we just put the nesting boxes in the coop today. When I closed them up for the night it looked like someone had tested the boxes as they were all matted down. We have one doing the squatting dance when you come close and doesn't seem to want to leave the coop in the morning. Hope we are getting close!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:That "Squatting dance" is the clue that it won't be much longer. Start checking those boxes and the ground carefully when the "Squatting dance" starts.

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:That "Squatting dance" is the clue that it won't be much longer. Start checking those boxes and the ground carefully when the "Squatting dance" starts.

Oh, is that what that is? [​IMG] I also have chicks who are plopping down after making a nice "nest" in the shavings. (Not dusting themselves) But, why are my younger chicks doing this and the older ones, not so much? [​IMG] Granted, they're different breeds -- does this mean I may get eggs from my younger chicks first? They're about 15 weeks or so.

6. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Ha! Mine have bben doing that dance for almost two weeks now and not one single egg yet....and yes I have kept them locked up for a few days and still no eggs!

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I'll keep that in mind. My husband keeps asking me where are the eggs? [​IMG]

8. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    My hubby told me "no more mods or upgrades for the chickens until we get some eggs"! He says it's payback time for all the work he has put in and I don't blame him!!

9. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The "squating dance" is when you walk near your pullets and they squat. This is the position they assume for the rooster. It means they are maturing and will be laying eggs very very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by