Impeyan, was this a good deal

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by tonini3059, Jun 24, 2010.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    A pheasant aficionado in my area who I just recently befriended hatched out an Impeyan pheasant. He offered it to me for $50, at three weeks of age. It appears to be a male and in good health aside from crooked toes, which I didn't notice it when I picked it up. I am a stickler for perfection so the toes are a sticking point for me, but I have always wanted them and thought this was a good deal. Now I was just wondering if this was indeed a good deal or should I have said no thanks. I am leaning towards the latter, but I really like the guy and he seemed excited to be able to get me one.

2. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Songster

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I would say good deal, the cheapest I have seen around here was a yearling male for 200 I have wanted them as well. If you don't want I'll give you 50 for him!!

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    I too, think it was a good deal. Just don't look at his toes![​IMG]

Crooked toes may be genetic, but more likely to much heat during incubation. Especially the first week when the toes, legs, etc are just forming. Find him a good mate for next year and your set to go. I saw Impeyan eggs offered on ebay recently that went for nearly 100$!!! Two eggs!! Why anyone would spend that on two eggs, and then risk shipping them through the mail is beyond me.

PM me and I'll give you the name of a breeder in N. Pennsylvania that specializes in Impeyans.[​IMG]

4. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Quote:That is what the wife said, however as I mentioned I am a stickler for perfection and I will not be able to do that. My biggest concern is him being genetically inferior, in which case I would not want to breed him and further mess up bloodlines.

5. Reeves

Reeves In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    Quote:That is what the wife said, however as I mentioned I am a stickler for perfection and I will not be able to do that. My biggest concern is him being genetically inferior, in which case I would not want to breed him and further mess up bloodlines.

I concur with your line of thought.

6. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I was thinking it over and I am more than likely going to keep him for now. If I can find a good pair I will get them and either keep him just because they are so nice or sell him. Then I worry that someone else will buy him for breeding and my effort to maintain good bloodlines will be for not. Oh, well, I guess I got a good deal, appreciate the help of a friend, a beautiful bird and we will see what happens.

7. casuarius

casuarius Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    Its not a bad price, however crooked toes on a male is worse than on a female, because it makes it difficult if not near impossible for the male to properly breed the female, they can't keep grip or keep their footing to properly mount. Like one individual mentioned, overheating during incubation causes this, but another thing that really causes it is inbreeding. Impeyans have went up alot in value, $400 a pair is normal. I would keep him and find a mate, just see what happens, he might do perfectly fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: