1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Impeyan

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by spectrumranch, Oct 3, 2009.

1. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

2. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    OMG that is the MOST BEAUTIFUL bird ive ever seen! ever and i thought the lilac breasted rollers in south africa were pretty omg its gorgeous!

3. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Incredibly beautiful! Is it a member of the pheasant family?
    What is it closely related to?

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey, from your location(s) I am thinking you might have some good firsthand information on the cold tolerance of this bird? I saw one (not for sale) a couple weeks ago and was deeply smitten, and am trying to figure out whether it's something I should make sure to leave space to house in the future [​IMG] Do you know how cold they can handle? And do they need the entire aviary at that temperature or just a 'house' portion of it?

Thanks for any info,

Pat, who thinks this is absolutely the most beautiful bird in the whole world.

5. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    The colder the better for these birds. Pat, you need one ASAP!

6. spectrumranch

Quote:Yes, Impeyans or also called Himalayan Monals are pheasants. They are one of the three different types of monal pheasants.

Would be closely related to Sclater & Chinese Monals.

7. spectrumranch

Quote:Impeyans are very cold hardy. Ours winter outside with no heat provided, and our temps go down to about 20 below zero or more.

Here are our pens were we winter alot of our cold hardy pheasants (like ruffed, monals, tragopans, Eared, Longtailed, Cheer):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. spectrumranch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    spectrumranch- gorgeous birds...and nice setup too! Your pens look great. [​IMG]

A local bird sanctuary has some Impeyans...the plumage on the males is unbelievable!!! I want one...lol [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Good gravy you have a LOT of birds! [​IMG]

Can I ask what size pen you have the Impeyans in, I have read 200 sq ft (that's for a pair, I assume?) but what would you recommend?

Quote:Woo hoo! Oooo, my husband won't like that! (tough luck to him) [​IMG]

I will have to decide where the eventual Impeyan habitat will go and make sure not to build any structures or garden beds there in the next year or two, which is probably about what it will take to a) break the news to DH, b) get something built, c) save up to *afford* said birds, and d) *find* some in Canada. [Obviously they are here, as the one I saw was about an hour away, once I get to the point of actually being In The Market I will email the guy and ask if he has contacts [​IMG]]

Thanks!

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by