1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Important-3 dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riverhen, Aug 12, 2011.

1. riverhen

riverhen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Anyone have a suggestion? So far I have lost 3 hens in a approx 3 week time period.
    First no signs of illness just found her dead- good body weight decided it could have been egg bound.
    Second one acted slow not eating on a regular time line crop seemed to be fluidity--gave the appearance of being slow in movement and mind. Died after 1 week.
    Just last night chicken acted slow not eating visiting the water a lot crop was extended and felt fluid filled to the touch. Good body weight no sign of any trauma---couple hours later found her dead gave the appearance of large amount of fluid around her body and I believe that fluid came out of her beak. This chicken was only noticeably ill for 1 day.
    The first 2 hens were large breed the third was Araucanian. I have ample ventilation in the house plus 24/7 fan
    If anyone has a suggestion it would be very appreciated. The loose fluid crop must be a sign of something. Thank you

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

so sorry for your losses riverhen.

do you know what the temperatures were for your hens, even despite a fan?

3. riverhen

Jul 12, 2009
    Yes we did have a heat spell first hen died prior to the heat I felt she might have been egg bound--- second somewhat in the middle of the heat third yesterday and the heat and humidity is not dangerous. It is 9 am and the hen house is 75 degrees--humidity acceptable. Is 75 at 9am a problem Im sure it will climb during the day but they will stay in the shade during the heat of the day.
    The house is large with a front fully open and full size large windows on the 2 sides. They have open access to the run which is half under a very large tree. I gave thought to heat being the cause but I never see them hanging the wings and since they can get to shade for their baths I ruled out heat however chickens are dying and maybe I dont know enough about heat limits for chickens. My egg production has dropped off I did feel that was heat related.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi riverhen,

Sounds like there was something else. (If you go to the chart-and-quotes of my BYC page there is a list of temps and effects of them on chickens, and a link to a good article on chickens. ) -- I'm very heat preoccupied here right now. Also I have heard that the larger the chicken the more the heat has an effect.

Did you think about having a necropsy done on your chicken. It is possible that agricultural sources like your county agent may be able to direct you to someone who could determine the cause of the death. Not knowing is so dis-heartening. Especially since there were no illnesses or injuries, it just becomes a mystery.

I have heard of a number of cases of a chicken dying and no cause found..and even the books say if one dies don't become 'too alarmed'. (Easy for them to say).

Hope that you do get answers and most of all, I hope that you don't loose another.

5. riverhen

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks for the info on the heat...yes the shells are thinner then usual and the count is down. Knowing their living conditions I question if it is heat however I'm going to make a few adjustments in the fan placement and move the water in an effort to make conditions even cooler. I would hate such a simple fix to be the cause of my recent deaths and to not have acted on it.
    Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by