*Important* can I leave these chicks out overnight???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L*A*G*, Jun 28, 2011.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    it's important cuz im about to leave on vacation and the nights that will be gone doesnt get below 70 degrees. the chicks will be 2 1/2 weeks old and they look really healthy and strong plus there's 29 of them and a silkie but she's not the mother. I think they'll be fine but what about you guys?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

L*A*G* :

it's important cuz im about to leave on vacation and the nights that will be gone doesnt get below 70 degrees. the chicks will be 2 1/2 weeks old and they look really healthy and strong plus there's 29 of them and a silkie but she's not the mother. I think they'll be fine but what about you guys?

I'm in Fl and put mine (17) in the outside brooder at day three with no losses.

our lows are 75-80?? our highs are in the low 100's -​

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have gone off and left my birds in their coop with plenty of food and water. My coop is well ventilated. I did leave a light on for them.

4. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    L*A*G* :

They will probably be fine, but what temperatures are they used to? How many nights will you be gone. What are your daytime temperatures? Will they have enough fresh water for the time that you are gone?

Sorry, but your question is not just a yes or no question.

If your nighttime temperatures won't go below 70, I am assuming that daytime temperatures may be in the high 80's or low 90's, maybe. If so, they need fresh water daily.
    Otherwise, they should be fine.​

5. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey, you Florida posters!

Quit telling me it's 70 at night, really depressing [​IMG] We rarely hit 70 as the high here, evenings get into the low 50's. I just put 9 week olds into the coop and felt a bit guilty at that but I needed the brooder space for the latest hatch.

Of course, we raise hardy chickens here, it can get 20 below and they're still outside scratching around. (not for long periods, but they do get outside.)

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have been to Alaska. It is beautiful!!!

7. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my 12 week olds out in a hutch on the deck at night and it is betw. 50-60 here at night. I believe the rule of thumb is as long as they are feathered, they can go out. Plus they aren't alone and can huddle if they feel chilly [​IMG]

8. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Your depressed, I'm more upset. [​IMG] Over here where I live in the UK we had a two day "heatwave" in the 70's. Now we are back to the 60's during the day and the mid 40's at night. Saturday and Sunday we are suppose to hit 50 as a night time temp and Sunday is suppose to get to 68 F as a daytime temp! When my hubby gets home I'm going to have to tell him that even Alaska has warmer night time temps than we do!!!!! [​IMG]

Edited to be on topic: [​IMG] It would depend on how long you are going to be gone. If it were me, I would at the very least have a friend, neighbor or family member check up on them every other day to make sure they were ok and still had food and water but that is just my opinion. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The should be fine, with the only possible problems being predators and the water situation. Nipple waterers would solve your problem about lots of clean fresh water available and no
    cleaning involved. I would not hesitate to leave mine alone for two weeks with my five gallon system and 30# feeder.

10. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    btw i did leave them out and they did great! thanks for the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by