~~IMPORTANT~~ Do you know how to test your hygrometer???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DutchChic, Nov 1, 2008.

1. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I use an Accurite hygrometer purchased from Lowe's, and have had lots of up and down hatches.....some great, some total busts. I tried the dry incubation this last time, and had a better incubation period, only to lose most of the batch right at pip time.
    My mother has 3 different hygrometers, and all 3 of her's were reading something different. She ended up talking to a lady at eggcartons.com, and the lady sent her simple instructions for testing your hygrometer. My mother tested her's, and only one was accurate. I tested mine to find it was incorrect by -20%!!!! No wonder my hatches have been so weird. I do need to note that all of our hygrometers were purchased this summer, so they aren't old. The one that was accurate was one my mother purchased from the UK...go figure! So I thought I'd share the testing procedure with everyone.....you will be quite suprised!

QUOTE:

There is an easy way to determine if your hygrometer is accurate.
    You need a ziploc bag, a screw-on soda bottle cap (or other small container) a small amount of dry table salt, and water.

1. Place the salt in the bottle cap (or other small container).
    2. Dampen the salt with water. Do not put so much that the salt is
    "sloppy". You want a damp pile of salt in the bottle cap.
    3. Place both the hygrometer, and the bottle cap full of damp salt
    in the ziploc bag and seal it well. (It is important not to let air
    in or out while the test is going on.)
    4. Let everything sit like this at room temperature for over 8 hours.

After 8 hours in the damp salt environment, the hygrometer should read75%.

If it does not, note the amount and direction that it actually reads and be sure to add or subtract that amount when reading the hygrometer.

If the hygrometer has a control to adjust it (either the needle or the display), you can set the hygrometer to 75% immediately after the test.

You should salt test your hygrometer every 6 months or so to be sure of the accuracy.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vallarie Leslie

Vallarie Leslie, Customer Service

EggCartons.com, div. of Kings Supply

END QUOTE

2. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    That's awesome. I am testing mine right now as it will become very important on Monday!

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

4. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Post your results so we can see how well the test works!

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, cool! Thanks!

6. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    A few weeks ago, I did the salt water test on both of my hygrometers and one was off 10% the other 12%. I'm hoping for a better hatch result next weekend now. We'll see!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  7. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks! I am testing mine today. This may explain the problems I had with the last hatch! All my babies grew up but died just before hatching.

8. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I've got a batch of Silkie eggs in the bator due to hatch this weekend...sure hope it has improved things for me. This batch and the last batch I had about 90-95% of shipped eggs get all the way to day 18, then die....that's frustrating!

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Were both your bad batches silkies also? I have had horrible luck with that breed.

I tested one of my hygrometers today and it was only off by 2% - not to bad. I put it in with my other one tonight and it is consistantly reading 5% higher than the one I have in there so I am guessing that the other one is 3% to low.

10. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:Were both your bad batches silkies also? I have had horrible luck with that breed.

I tested one of my hygrometers today and it was only off by 2% - not to bad. I put it in with my other one tonight and it is consistantly reading 5% higher than the one I have in there so I am guessing that the other one is 3% to low.

The last batch was Porcelain D'uccles. I did drown a batch of Silkies from Hinkjc, along with some of her Araucaunas. The batch of Silkies I have in right now are due to hatch in 6 days, and I have 12 out of 15 doing well. But on the D'uccles, I had 10 of 12 do well until day 18....only ended up with 3 chicks out of that batch. My hygrometer was so off, I had the humidity up way too high. These are all shipped eggs, too...very frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by