Important Heat Lamp Question! *Pictures*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CitySilkies88, Mar 28, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    So since we had the temp drop the last couple of days I thought I would go out and buy a 250 watt red heat lamp for my brooder. I had only had them under a 150 watt for their first week but it seemed to work fine at keeping them warm enough. I really just wanted the red light so that they could rest easier.

So I bought the 250 red and plugged it in around 5pm then at 12:30am I thought I would switch out the bulb for the night (back to the 150) because I have a really bad fear of fire. I let the lamp cool down (while a hot water bottle was provided to keep the chicks warm) and unscrewed the red bulb. I looked it over and was not happy with what I saw.........It looked like the coloring in the bulb had started to run down to the middle of the underside of the bulb. I then looked at one side and it had a burn/melt mark about the size of a quarter.

Needless to say it freaked me out! No nothing else on the lamp had melted. But is it safe to still use this bulb?

I really don't plan on using it unless the temps drop again....It's going to be in the 70s today so I am not too concerned. I just need to know if I need to buy a new bulb?

Thanks in advance everyone!
    This is the drip down the front (see it? to the left?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And that is the huge melted spot ^

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    DO NOT USE! The 250 is usually to powerfull for the lamp. I had one bulb explode all over my chicks and a couple got burned. Another melted and caught fire. Buy a 100w red reptile heat bulb, and add that with your 150w if the temps drop low and if they still seem cold add hot water bottle.

3. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Thank you so much for the quick response! I definately will not be using it again. I really didn't like the idea of these 250 watt red bulbs. They make me extremely nervous.

And this is probley a silly question. But do you think that Lowes would let me return the damaged bulb?

4. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I bought a 250 once because it was only in the 30's at night and 40's during the day and the brooder was outside in the coop and I thought I had to lamp very secure but my "special" hen flew onto the brooder knocking the lamp off and and knocking the bulb out but it was hot enough so almost catch the shavings on fire they were already turning black and were smoking and it melted the feeder luckly the chicks fled to the other end of the brooder and we were able to get the lamp and the shavings and melted feeder out before any major damage was done this all took place in the span of about 20 minutes lets just say the chicks got a good dose of cool air because smoke had already filled the coop. Now I only use 125w bulbs but those can get almost as hot and my hubby made me a lamp holder that no one can knock loose or over

5. Desiree Brown

Desiree Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    I just checked my lamp and I have a 250w 120v lamp. Is it not safe? I have them inside right now in a dog crate but I was going to put them out in the coop today. They are making a mess in the house and I have 19 chicks. our chick coop right now is probably 5x5 and 4 feet tall until they go into the big coop. is that lamp to big for them. its going to be 30-40 at night and 40 - 60 in the day. The range between a month+ to about 3 weeks old. the youngest ones have wing feathers and starting to get sholder feathers. If you need pics ill try and get some. I just want them to be safe but outside lol.

6. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I wouldn't, nothing but bad luck with 250w, I would switch to a 100w red reptile heat bulb. And secure it in at least 3 different ways and don't rely on the clamp!

7. kaseywhite

kaseywhite Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    My coop is 4 x 4 (I have 3 chickens) and i was wondering if a 40w light iside would be enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by