Important lock down HElp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dylanj911, Nov 5, 2014.

1. dylanj911

dylanj911 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    I am locking down today and i candled for the last time. These pictures look like the egg is going to hatch sooner than three days please help also what am i supposed to do for the lock down how is that supposed to work ? My first time

[​IMG]The little black part is something sticking into the airsack

[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    They have internally pipped if you can see something in the air sac. This means they pushed their beak through the membrane and into the air sac they are now learning to breath air for the first time.
    Lockdown means you stop turning your eggs and put your humidity up to at least 65%.
    The 65% should keep the eggs moist enough for the chick to hatch. Too low and the chick can become shrink wrapped meaning the inner membrane has dried and the chick has become stuck and can't turn in the egg to zip the shell and pop out. After lockdown I have rule DO NOT OPEN THE INCUBATOR it messes with the humidity.

It can take another 2-3 days from this point for them to hatch. After internally pipping they learn to breathe and once the oxygen starts becoming low and c02 high that's when they start to do the external pip in the shell. It can be upto 24 hours Inbetween all these processes they do a lot of resting and have to absorb the yolk and veins.

Good luck with your hatch :frow

3. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @Yorkshire coop Thanks but they are bantam eggs so how old are they and will they hatch earlier than full size eggs

4. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @Yorkshire coop Can you also tell me how to increase humidity on a brinsea mini advance ? i dont know how

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes they may well do. I mainly hatch polish bantam and they usually start hatching on day 20 and have usually finished by the end of day 21. They will be fine to lockdown now hopefully by day 20 you will have a hatch started.

Oh I forgot if you have a auto turner, that needs to be removed too at lockdown so the hatched chicks don't become trapped in it

6. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I have the mini advance, just add water to the center resevoir. Good luck! :)

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

In the centre of the mini there should be a water pot with a guard on the top this is to stop the chick drowning. Brinsea reccomends to fill both side of the pots but if you get condensation in the incubator it's too much and you will have to remove some water. If this happens when chicks hatch don't worry it's because chicks are wet. Do you have a hygrometer for measuring humidity? I can't remember if mini advance has humidity digital read out?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    It doesn't have a humidity display. THe only thing it's lacking. I"m in the south and have never had condensation from just the pots. It does happen a bit when the chicks hatch.

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I don't have the mini I have the octagon but did a lot of research before purchasing. Have read quite a bit that both pots filled causes condensation because it holds humidity well.
    Thinking back now I think it's the advance EX that has humidity read out.

I think they should add read out on the mini advance.

10. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @ChickenPox Thanks for the help but would you say that the chick will hatch tommorow or sooner or later this is my first time hatching so i have no idea [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by