important question about brand new Momma/baby behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly FG, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    I have a first time BO that hatched out one chick. She is doing a great job, being totally sweet to the baby. I'm noticing this morning that the baby is looking to pick at things that are red. So far I've seen her pull on Mommas wattles & just now she grabbed her eyelid & gave it a good hard yank. They are in a large dog cage configured into a nursery in an outbuilding. I have the ability to get a red light going, should?
    Also its day three and Momma hasnt shown her how to eat or drink yet, should I get involved?
    Please help, I need to get a red bulb before work today which means I need advice quickly [​IMG]

2. The chick should be eating and drinking by now. Feel it's crop. Maybe eating is happening while you are not looking.

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    they should be ok but i've noticed it takes a day or two before they start to really eat/drink. remember that they have the yolk to keep them going for a while. my momma hen also was slow to eat - but i kept a careful eye on the food and she was eating when i wasnt looking.

is the chick pip popping around? eyes bright? if he looks ok then no need to intervene.

4. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    Thanks for the replies
    Yes, Momma & chick both look bright eyed, the chick is very energetic. I've seen her eat some bedding, not much food. I've moved the food & water much closer to the nest inside the nursery so Momma can reach them with out getting up. I forced the baby to drink a bit too.

Should I be worried about the picking at Momma? What is the chick makes her bleed? Is it normal? I've never had chicks that were pickers but I've never raised them with a broody.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    momma isn't going to let the chick hurt her. No worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: