IMPORTANT QUESTION, PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lgmc10, Aug 9, 2013.

1. lgmc10

lgmc10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    My hen Meli (a Silver Laced Wyandotte) started ''squatting'' about 5 days ago, but we are moving tomorrow, so we haven't had time to get her a nesting box. The last few days, she has taken to hiding herself in our patio planting box behind a very beautiful, leafy plant. She has shaped the potting soil into a hole and is sitting there all day eating the plant, so that now, only half of it is bushy and beautiful, and the other half is stripped bare. This is a problem because my mom wants that plant in great condition for the new owners of this house. She had me fill a box with sawdust and dirt, and stick Meli in it, because she did not want her plant to be stripped of its leaves/branches any more. Meli hated it, so she hopped out of the box, and went straight back over to her old spot. I can't have this. WHAT DO I DO?

O MY GOSH ! SHE JUST LAYED HER FIRST EGG![​IMG][​IMG]well..... could you still answer the question????

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She has picked that as HER nest site. Either fence it off or pen her up - she will not voluntarily give up her chosen site.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    X2

4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    yep, you need to shut her into the run until she lays or you could just let her do what she wants and then trim up the plant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by