important!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Feb 22, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok i have 2 25 day old eggs and i was wondering if i make a pip hole fro them what will happen , what is the safest way to maually hatch them ?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    There is NO safe way to manually hatch them. If you assist them they could very well die from your help [​IMG] If you think they are goners you could open one very slowly from the spot where the aircell is and see if there is any movement. Search and you will find many posts on here that will help you decide how to proceed.

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Most likely if you pip them you're going to find dead chicks inside. At this point it's highly unlikely they're still alive and not pipped.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, and if you didn`t candle to be sure something was growing in there, they could be rotten and explode. Throw them out.

5. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    what if somthings alive and i poped the aircell then what ??

6. pefferlawchicken

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    its defenatly a chick inside fully grown im just not sure if its alive

7. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I helped one hatch last year that pipped on its own. It could walk, it could only turn in a circle, it looked funny (not quite right) and died the next day. I won't help another.

If you have to find out for yourself... then go ahead because on day 25 you aren't affecting your hatch, but it doesn't usually turn out well. Good luck.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You'll know if it's alive... it will move. If the membrane is all dried up and tight around the chick then it is (most likely) dead [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  9. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    That is very ture. I done the same thing with the same outcome. If it isn't strong enoght to get out of the shell it is not a good chicken.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Once I'm reasonably sure an egg is having trouble or has died I take the following steps:

Candle- that means shine a flashlight or candler on it in a dark room. If you see movement put it back. The egg has a slight chance of dying from being taken out of the humidity of the incubator and opening the incubator may risk killing other chicks that have yet to hatch. If you don't see movement consider continuing.

Scrape (don't poke or punch) a small hole in the end with the air cell. That should be the thicker end. I use the tip of a pocket knife or a piece on a serrated blade. A needle or if your really patience tweezers can work too. If you hear peeping stop and put it back. The egg should hatch fine from this point provided your humidity is correct but has the same risk of dying as above.

If it's silent make the hole big enough you can look for movement. If you see movement put it back and if the hole you made is large cover it with a damp paper towel (warm water not cold). It has a fair chance of still hatching if your humidity is correct. If you see and hear nothing then continue.

Carefully break away the shell until you can touch the membrane. Poke the chick. If it moves cover it with a damp paper towel and put it back. It may or may not hatch after that much intervention. If it doesn't move 99% sure it's dead. If it's stiff and there are no red blood vessels then it's dead. You can continue and break the membrane to look at the chick and see why it died or dispose of it right away. Your choice.

I have manually hatched chicks before and so have others. However it's very easy to kill them and if you don't know what your doing odds are you will kill them so don't think you'll just go check an egg and pop a chick out because your getting impatient for them to hatch.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by